Options

Crashlands on PC ?

Kiwicat4444Kiwicat4444 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 20 Butter Churner
Since my phone isn't able to handle all the awesomeness crashlands can offer I was wondering how will the PC version work. Do you already have an idea of how it will be downloadable ? @BscotchAdam‌ @BscotchSam‌ @BscotchSeth‌

Best Answer

• Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    Answer ✓
    We have some ideas! There is a little uncertainty at the moment for two reasons: we definitely want to be on Steam (but that isn't up to us) and we have to figure out how to minimize the impact of piracy.

Because we are going to be making BscochID a core component of all of our games, every player actively costs us money by using server space and processing power. Piracy therefore becomes a much bigger problem, since it's not just that we don't get paid, but that we in essence pay the pirates! The piracy rate on PC is absurd, and so we need ways to get the game to players while still being able to verify that they paid for it. Platforms like Steam come with a lot of certainty about purchase validity, but we aren't very familiar with other platforms.

In any case, we'll make it available anywhere we can safely do so!

Answers

• Options
    CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch
    Do you think you could get a PS4 dev kit for the game after Crashlands & Narwhal? A lot less piracy on consoles. I hear it isn't easy to get one though :s
  • Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    Indeed we can! We know a guy at Sony who can hook us up. BUT... Crashlands probably wouldn't work too well on a non-mouse or non-touch interface.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch
    I meant the next game. ^_^  Avoid piracy, become more well known, take over the world, etc.

If Crashlands eventually reaches Steam, maybe a 'half price launch week' sale would help start it up well.
  • Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    That'd be pretty sweet!

And Crashlands will totally reach Steam... I mean, assuming the Greenlight process goes through.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke
    Woohoo! That would be awesome. Love Steam for multiple reasons and it would be fantastic to see you get a foot in the door there. Would also make it easier for me to support y'all by forci- uh, I mean gifting your game/s to my friends so they can experience your awesomeness too. XP

Meant to ask...  Are you going to make your games with a cloud save or something? Would love to be able to play on my larger screen tablet when I'm at home and yet access my game on my phone when I'm it and about. Not sure if that was answered yet. Forgive me if it has been.

And if so would it then be possible to access via my Steam version or is that not possible because of the way mobile/PC handles things? 

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    edited October 2014
    The save question is still not really answered from what I have understood and what I remember. It has been discussed somewhere else on the forums though (I'm not able to remember where, probably a subject about crashlands or in the butterscotch central)

I'll try to sum up: The problem is that fully synchronized saves would require a permanent connection (that Bscotch team don't want to force).
    The next question is: how to organize a smart synchronisation without a permanent internet access and how to handle potential problems, like which save file is to keep if you play offline on both you phone and tablet abd connect after?
    There are a few possibilities: a "synchronize" button in the menus that work only when connected so the player does the synchronizing by himself; automatic synchronizing but then which save file need to be kept (live it to the choice of the player, let him configure like "always keep phone save rather than the other saves", "always keep the most recent save file"?)

The fact is that cloud saving is possible (the save files are handled through game maker, so I guess that the only difference between pc and mobile versions will be the gameplay, and it shouldn't affect the save system), but putting up the system to work as Bscotch want is a whole other problem.

@BscotchSeth tell me if I'm wrong (in that case I didn't understand a thing).
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    Yep, @Ulnarevern‌'s basically got it. It's a pretty simple problem if we're allowed to a assume that someone will play on one device, make sure everything is synced, then move to another device. We definitely can't make that assumption. Since I'm dealing with the web dev stuff, the majority of my time is spent coding up all the contingencies for if and when people have web connections at various points within the game. It's super confusing.

But anyway, we're going to try really hard to make that happen. For the simpler games that are all about how far you can get in a single run, it doesn't really matter if things get out of sync. In those cases, we can just keep the best value (of your upgrades, or your best distance, or whatever) during those times we do get to sync to the web. For that reason, we are currently setting up cloud saving for Flop Rocket, Roid Rage, and Quadropus Rampage as features of the BscotchID. We'd also like to get it in Towelfight, but that game suffers the same difficulties as Crashlands.