Options

About IAP/monetization

UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
edited November 2014 in Butterscotch General Chat
I read Adam's post "Why we can't have nice things" and I must say thank you for the enlightenment.
I mean I've never thought of it this way. This is good to shake convictions from time to time.

But I was here to ask a simple/dumb/candid (I hope it has the same meaning as in French) question (many in fact but based on two parts):

- How will you handle the purchase of your games (like, I'd buy Crashlands on PC, maybe on my phone too)?
Like through BScotchID or will the process of buying separated? Or if we buy one version, we buy both? (I don't think I'm really able to explain myself correctly here, sorry)

- Wouldn't it be possible to do a "meta-money" or "meta-thing" for all your games?
Somewhat like the things you can see from MMO (and some other) publishers: you have a currency in common to all the games. Maybe a currency that can convert into in-game currency (since your games don't use the same money everytime). That may be positive for both players and you (I let you judge of this statement, you are the devs).
Example: if a player spends 10$ on a ButtersCurrency (or BSCurrency, yeah that sounds somewhat correct), he will be able to spend the equivalent of 5$ on Quadropus (to convert it in doubloons [or orbs]) and then say "Oh man, I wonder what are their other games" and take a look at your other games. This "BSCurrency" would also be usable to suppress ads on your games. Or something like that.

I know it would be a SHITLOAD ton of work to do such a thing, but I was wondering if you ever considered something like that.

Plus well played with the tease-looking Juiced Bella :smile: Is it a tease? Or is it not a tease?
French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    Wow thanks for the detailed answer :smile:

And that's sad for IOs versions :/

I guess your complete rework of your previous games and the release of Crashlands will determine what you'll do (or be able to) next?
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    Correct! If it turns out that the integration and adoption of BscotchID, coupled with the development and release of Narwhal Online and Crashlands at the start of next year, are enough to provide salaries for all 3 of us for long enough to develop the next few games, then we'll suddenly have a lot more flexibility and freedom to start doing things our own way.

That success really hinges on BscotchID, since that system will give us a way to contact our players directly via an email newsletter when new games are released and so on. Without that, even at our most successful we'd still be dependent on the major distribution platforms for exposure to our players.

Few studios can really call themselves completely "independent," since almost none of them can be successful without major distributors and many design decisions have to be made around that fact! We're hoping to turn ourselves into one of the rare exceptions, but that is a process that may take years if it happens at all.