Options

Space: the final frontier?

EnthashEnthash Bscotch Posts: 2 Babbyscotch
Made it! 500+ heroes later...ah well, as that one guy who finally made it to space said: "Great gains cannot come without great sacrifices!" In other news, the grieving widows of the dead cavenauts have sued the government for gross negligence and stupidity. Their spokesperson released a statement earlier today: "I mean, come on! Building your launch pad in a cave? Who does that?"

Comments

• Options
    bscotchsambscotchsam Administrator Posts: 106 Developer
    The cost of greatness is great, indeed.
  • Options
    bscotchsambscotchsam Administrator Posts: 106 Developer
    Tell us, but don't spoil for others, how'd the end make you FEEL!?
  • Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    WHO DOES THAT?

Will. Will does that.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    edited November 2014

"MAAAAAAAN! WE MADE IT! WE REALLY MADE IT!"

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE! I'm in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!"

"Mom? Guess from where I call!"

"I finally see the infinite darkness of space, lit by a BIG BUNCH OF STARS. I'm in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!"

"Oh right I completely forgot that mom died in the 349th rocket crash. Dang. I'm sad"

"Can you believe it?"

"Hardly. By the way, be prepared."

"Whut?"

"We are facing a freakin' huge lot of ROIDS!"

"Oh well. I don't care I'm in SPAAAAAAAACE!"

About the end... I was so happy to get from 2,5km to 5km that I found the end seriously cool. I had a freakin' adrenaline rush. And I made it after 123 unsuccessful runs. Don't know if it's good or not.

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    That is pretty dang good indeed! And good -- we wanted it to take HUNDREDS of tries so that by the time you see your rocket emerging from the giant roid... you'll be like, :*)

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    I was really like " :*) "

It was like 11p.m, I was tired as hell and hopeless (did a few bad runs right before) and then... 2.5km... 3km... OH MY GOOOOOD!!! 4km... WHAT THE HELL? 4.5km... World is too beautiful, I'm gonna crash at 4.950... 4.950 OGMOMGOGM!!!... 5km I CAN SEE THE LIGHT! HOLLY HELL I SEE THE LIGHT I'M GONNA DIE!

That pretty sum up how I felt. I was pretty ecstatic at the end and I had a kinda ridiculous adrenaline rush. By the way I didn't feel like I did "only" 120 runs. I'd have said 200+

And I'm honestly surprised I managed to get a "good score" with my setup (seriously my phone has weird behaviors sometimes).

@BscotchSeth How many runs did it take for you?

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Hard to say, since I killed myself hundreds of times while testing various features. I think in the end it was about 250 legit attempts or so.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Oh ok :smile:

• Options
    HopeofGloryHopeofGlory Bscotch Posts: 24 Babbyscotch
    It took me 224 but I would suicide if there was a mission I didn't like or if I got frustrated haha.
  • Options
    EtrusanEtrusan Bscotch Posts: 71 Babbyscotch
    edited November 2014
    Can I see how many times I failed and how many times I "won" other way than making 5000m again?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    You have to get in the BscotchID thing (bottom left of the home screen) and clic on the thing top right that looks like a graphic. You should be able to see your stats (even if you're not Buttered up I think), but not those of other players.
    They haven't put a number of death stat though.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I can only see Successful Launches (1), Best Duck Kills (265) and Best Run (5001), not Failed Launches :( (I'm Buttered Up)

Edit: Oh thanks.
  • Options
    Went to space for the second time. My score is 49 lost heroes.
  • Options
    akkmedakkmed Bscotch Posts: 20 Babbyscotch
    Nice work! I have yet to escape the cave.

In my attempts to climb the leaderboard I have noticed that the perks are pretty unique to each game. I can almost envision the debate involved when deciding on perks and tracked stats.

<Feedback>

If I may opine...  It appears that the tracked stats on each game are tied to the victory conditions. Flop Rocket has an end, so counting how many times you reach that end is an accomplishment. Roid Rage has no end so high score and total score make sense. For this Bscotch gamer though I would like to see a little of each in all the games. If not for perks then at least for leaderboards.

Flop Rocket counting dead ducks but not dead pilots doesn't make a lot of sense. Of course the person who flies through the whole maze will kill the most mobs. That is a goal beyond any player control. Roid Rage should keep count of total time survived as well, because sometimes you can fly around like a master jedi but the juice just isn't spawning.

I know you guys don't have time to do everything, I'm just suggesting that you consider another stat or two for us to chase that may not be so closely tied to optimal gameplay. 

You built the physics and the rules of the game, after that every stat you track and all the perks you invent are what bring about the promised land, Emergent Gameplay. Give us reasons to compete and we will open your game more often. Take a poll. Maybe I'm wrong but every time I see someone else's name above mine on a list I try again...    and again.....   and..... Maybe that's just the old school gamer in me.

Well, you get the idea and I've rambled on enough 3 am thoughts for a month.

</Feedback>
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Another thing about Flop Rocket: why did you supress the timer and why wouldn't you add a best-time-leaderboard? :)

• Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    I also would love (and at the same time hate) an endless mode...
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    edited December 2014
    @akkmed‌ RESPONSE:

We're already tracking a BUNCH of stats in FR, so it's dead-simple to add them to the leaderboards. I agree that we should have player deaths in there, and it'll be added in the next patch.

Just so you know why we limited things: we have no idea what we're doing on this web stuff (I joined the team in August and had to teach myself PHP/MySQL etc before I could build this system). Scalability of BscotchID is a huge point of concern for us and keeping a leaderboard updated requires sending and retrieving data from our server with some regularity. We limited the scope of BscotchID, and also the number of leaderboard stats, while we collect data and figure out how costly this system is to us.

Right now we don't have enough data to answer the cost/scalability question once and for all, but we will a few weeks after we launch Quadropus + BscotchID since that is by far our most-played game. If we learn that the system is robust and scales well, we'll befree to expand BscotchID functionality a little more and add in more leaderboards.

@Ulnarevern I wanted the BscotchID system to be completely game-independent, so that nothing would have to be specifically changed for any given game. When I built the stats page functionality, the extra information associated with each stat that would determine which direction the stat should go (i.e. is highest or lowest better?) was not accessible by the leaderboards. And so I took the generic approach that would work for the majority of stats, which is that bigger is better. Which prevents us from putting in best-time leaderboards (though, as per @akkmed, we could do longest-time boards).

And just for a little more context, dealing with smallest-is-best scores is a huge pain in the ass, especially when we want to store your best score on the server. The initial value for more-is-best scores can be set to 0 and then you don't have to worry about anything, since 0 is the worst possible score and anything else is better. Therefore you can just tell the server, "keep the max of the old and new values" and you'll always have the best score. But what do you do with mins? You need to do the same sort of thing, only always keep the min of the old and new values. But what value you do you start with? Numeric types in programming have an upper bound, so you could set it there (but those bounds are stat-dependent and hard to deal with in the general case). Or, for timed things, you can say "0 is an impossible score, so I'll set that as the starting value and always choose the min unless one value is zero." But, for some minimizing scores 0 really does mean 0, so this doesn't work well in the general case either.

To be clear, the minimum score problem is solvable by adding complexity and special cases to the code, but a major constraint that we're working with is to start BscotchID with the smallest amount of storage and processing requirements possible while we find out if we can pull it off. So we're sticking with the simplicity of always-max scores for now.

I hope that clarifies!
  • Options
    That clarifies a lot. Thanks! :smile:

• Options
    9 times in space, 50 lost heroes. I miss the old game. That was real challenge.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @Etrusan‌ !??!?! HOLY CRAP

Maybe we need an infinity mode for people with completely insane skills.

Also, I would definitely watch a screencast to see how you play this game.
  • Options
    You are a god among men.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Okey, now it's 10 times :smiley: Still 50 lost heroes. I try to record it somehow.
  • Options
    @Etrusan‌ Not that I'm doubting you, but any chance you're on an old device that runs in slow motion :wink: ?
  • Options
    @BscotchAdam‌ What are you referring to? :smile:
    By the way I made a friend try the game and it seemed way faster than on my phone, so I guess I'm always playing in slow-mo, but particularly with the worms around.

• Options
    I have Xperia Sola, slow motion only when spaceworms are on screen. I tried to record it but it was unplayable. I think I have to find someone with better device.
  • Options
    Well, let us know if you find something! We also need to find some decent Android gameplay recording software.
  • Options
    I tried mirroring to pc, but it still lags. I think I use another phone to record it, so do not expect 1080p.
  • Options
    scotchstescotchste Bscotch Posts: 13 Babbyscotch
    AZ screen recorder works well IF you're on Lollipop. It is free and works without root.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That's the problem. I'm on ICS (4.0.4.). Only solution is buying new device but that's not gonna happen soon.