Options

Looping Recipes - Shifts in the crafting system of Crashlands

bscotchsambscotchsam Administrator Posts: 106 Developer
HEYOOO!

We just posted a design-focused article on the changes coming to Crashlands' crafting system. SEE WHAT YOU TESTERS HAVE WROUGHT.

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2015/01/looping-recipes-pre-beta-devlog-part-1.html

Then drop your OPINIONS and THOUGHTS here.

Comments

• Options
    bscotchsambscotchsam Administrator Posts: 106 Developer
    turns out I posted this WHERE I SHOULD NOT HAVE. thanks to @Ulnarevern‌ for setting me straight. Now you can actually comment!
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    Are the recipes dropped randomised or is the ingredient you break down actually part of it?
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    The exact plan is still in the works (we're trying a bunch of options). What we think we're going to do is the following.

Each recipe is made up of multiple resources, and breaking down any of those resources gives you some probability of dropping that recipe. As you obtain more recipes for a given resource, the probability of dropping another recipe goes down. Some recipes may be dropped in a particular order, while others will be more random. Remaining recipes will be given as part of the quest system that we're putting together.

The exact breakdown of how many and which recipes go where is still way up in the air.
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    edited January 2015
    Sounds pretty complex on the principle (yet easy to understand) but also really interesting and rewarding :D
    The points you developed in the forum post are all understandable and justified and correct even if, I must assume, I had not even thought of it that way.
    Can't wait to test that :D
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    Duh83Duh83 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 76 Butter Churner
    I never had a problem with the all at the same time part but this doea add a level of difficulty that makes you want to play the game a lot without blowing through it and not work to get somewhere
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    Just read your second update! I am really looking forward to see combat for myself especially since I definetly prefer the fighting and survival part over the building part in crafting games. Digging in minecraft really is an awful way for me to grind for materials and i never really got into that game. I feel like terraria does a better job because it has a lot more interesting items, still digging and building sometimes is tideous work.
    Having an infinybag makes things less complicated and building in general looks for what i have seen much faster and easier in crashlands!
    Well and also curious to hear about the story and quest system which i guess you will focus on sometime  in the next updates.
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @bsb333 Yeah I've played a LOT of Terraria, but now every time I come back to it I play for 10 minutes max before getting bored. Sam deal with Don't Starve. While those games heavily influence our design choices for Crashlands, we tried to figure out WHY those other games left us wanting and then tried to prevent that from happening in our own game. Seems to be working out so far, but WE'LL SEE.

Yeah, story and quests are the first thing we'll be tackling after all this iOS stuff is done. We have a lot of ideas about how to make it work, so we'll be trying to choose a system that provides a lot of interaction for the player if the player wants, but otherwise still allows the kind of freedom expected from a sandbox game.