Options

REQUIRED: Switch to BscotchID to log into the forums!

bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
edited February 2015 in BscotchID

If you are a new forum user:

Register your BscotchID (if you don't have one already) and use that to login! We'll be purging all non-BscotchID forum accounts, even if they are brand-new.

If you already have a forum account:

(1) Change your forum username to exactly match your BscotchID (if it doesn't already).
Now that we're past the deadline, you'll have to ask an admin to do this for you. You should have received an email from Adam.
(2) Change your forum email to exactly match your BscotchID email (if it doesn't already).
Same as (1).
(3) Log in, and put your forum password in the 3rd field!
[EDIT 2015.02.02] We're purging accounts RIGHT NOW!

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS!?

Having you use BscotchID in the forums does a lot of useful things. When it come to support issues and test feedback, we'll know exactly how to contact people and can help them out immediately. Having BscotchIDs out in the open will let you get to know each other outside of our games, and then find each other inside of our games, without you having to remember who is who and what is what. The main goal of BscotchID is one of community, so we're just going for it!

On the fun side (and as requested), we'll be able to automagically update your Avatars, Badges, and other stuff as a consequence of what you do in our games. You should already notice that your avatar will change to your in-game avatar when you sign in with BscotchID (unless I did something wrong). I'll try to get ButterUp and BsotchID-Level badges put together soon, and will continue to add stuff over time.

What if you don't want to comment using your BscotchID?

Then TOO BAD!

Known issues

I'll update this as they come up
  • Avatars are set to your in-game avatar when you login with BscotchID for the first time. After that, they do not update themselves. We're working on figuring out HOW this thing should behave, since people rely on the forum avatars to figure out who each other are.

Comments

• Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke
    So how does one verify their email? Because it won't let me merge my accounts until I verify my email, but as far as I was aware it already had been. :/

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Uhhhhh. Thought I had that working properly. There are two variables, one called Verified and the other called Confirmed, but the forum documentation doesn't say which is the right one... I'll check the code in the morning!
  • Options
    No worries. Just that's the first issue I've come across and the "re-verify email" option isn't anywhere that I can find. Let us know if you get it worked out. Looking forward to this. ^_^

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    EtrusanEtrusan Bscotch Posts: 71 Babbyscotch
    edited January 2015

So here's what you gotta do:
    1. Backup any super-important posts/comments.
      Everything should be fine, but you never know!
    2. Change your forum username to exactly match your BscotchID (if it doesn't already).
    3. Change your forum email to exactly match your BscotchID email (if it doesn't already).
    4. Verify your email in the forums (if it isn't already).
    5. Log out of the forums, and then log back in using the "Login with BscotchID" button.
    6. If you are merging accounts, you MUST put in your forum password in the 3rd field of the registration page. Otherwise no merge attempt will be made.

Is there somewhere noob guide how to do it? I have problem with step no. 1 ( no idea where is the "magical" backup/save button).
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    edited January 2015
    @Etrusan‌ i think there is none. I think he means if there is a post very important to you (like maybe your who are you people post, if you have one) copy paste it into a word save file or smth. like that
  • Options
    @bsb333‌ Ok, thx.
  • Options
    FIXED. Turns out a moved a piece of code somewhere and the program then couldn't find it anymore. Which was dumb. Should work just fine (and I checked, @MeaKitty‌, your email is confirmed).

I'll edit the post a bit to make things more clear. And @bsb333 was correct in saying that there is no way (that I know of) to back things up besides copy-pasting anything you think is super-important. I really doubt we'll lose any data, but it's always good to play it safe.
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    Seems like it worked out! :D
  • Options
    @bsb333 AW YEAH. Nice avatar!
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    Hell yeah that's done!
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    Duh83Duh83 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 76 Butter Churner
    The forums wont let me change my user name. Its a light grey color and wont let me click it.
  • Options
    Also my email says neither confirmed or send confirmation
  • Options
    @duh8383‌ Looks like it simply DOESN'T say anything if your email is already confirmed, so don't worry about that (I changed the instructions).

As for changing your username, the permissions are cryptic as hell, but it looks like you should be able to do it. I'll make a tester account and see if I can sort this out.
  • Options
    FIXED IT. Let me know if it works!
  • Options
    Works! Thanks!
  • Options
    R4V3NR4V3N Bscotch Posts: 40 Butter Churner
    edited January 2015
    Grubby! OH YEAH! Thanks for the new coolness
  • Options
    Bamf! Done. Thank you @bscotchadam‌ - now if only you could use your forum avatar on BSID and not the other way 'round we'd be supre. Not that I don't love my little TF2 pup here, but it's just not me, and I need to unlock other avatars. XD

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Yeah... We envisioned avatars in-game as earned things, so the system absolutely isn't set up to handle a different image per player. Right now, igames downloads image strips that are 16 avatars wide and downloads ALL avatars since that's only a few kb, and we certainly wouldn't want you to download an avatar per player in the network!

We'll probably keep it this way. I had the forums set up to auto-update your avatar to the in-game avatar, but I've turned that off. I'll still have it grab your avatar at first login/registration, and I suppose we have some thinking to do about what happens after that.

Even when we finish making this switch to BscotchID in the forums, there will be another stumbling block ahead. We're getting temporary free hosting from Vanilla Forums, but in a few months it will suddenly get really expensive. And we won't be able to afford it! So we need to host our own, but it's unclear if going the open source Vanilla route is the right move (the non-commercial version lacks a few key features, like badges and API access) versus switching to another forum software altogether. Either way, it will be a mess!
  • Options
    Not sure what's wrong, but when I log in using Bscotch ID "Whoops! parsererror" shows up.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've seen that a few times as well. It has something to do with the use of both systems at the same time, because the default is still the original system. Basically the forum software is confused about what to do!

You can use the "Sign In" button instead of the one showing your avatar, and that seems to sometimes fix the problem. Once we finish making the switch all of these silly problems will go away!
  • Options
    carolcarol Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 3 Babbyscotch
    I DID THIS AND IT WORKED
  • Options
    danadana Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 23 Babbyscotch
    IT WORKED BUT YOU TURNED ME INTO A GERBLIN
  • Options
    @dana Heh. Yeah. Sounds like you need a GERBLIN POTION.
  • Options
    ZettianJuggernautZettianJuggernaut Bscotch Posts: 7 Babbyscotch
    Bug: won't let me type in me full username, I can only type in 16 characters, I need 17.
  • Options
    CBenoitCBenoit Bscotch Posts: 12 Babbyscotch
    edited January 2015
    Hell yeah, ultimate merging succeeded ! Good luck to you guys, with all the work for merging everybody correctly (I think about the problems you should had :pensive: ).
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    @ZettianJuggernaut‌ Welcome here and if you have something important to say, don't hesitate to shout @bscotchAdam‌ (or the other brothers) so they can know that IT IS IMPORTANT. I haven't invented it, they said it here
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    @ZettianJuggernaut‌ OH WAIT... Figured it out. You are one of the OLD GUARD, back when we allowed usernames to be 20 characters long. We later shortened it to 16 because it was hard to design our UIs around so many characters. The forced max of 16 is really only necessary during registration, so I removed the requirement from the login. You should be good to go!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @ZettianJuggernaut‌ OH WAIT... Figured it out. You are one of the OLD GUARD, back when we allowed usernames to be 20 characters long. We later shortened it to 16 because it was hard to design our UIs around so many characters. The forced max of 16 is really only necessary during registration, so I removed the requirement from the login. You should be good to go!
    bscotchAdam Now it tells me "Please match the requested format".
  • Options
    @ZettianJuggernaut‌ Well DANGIT! Where does that message pop up? Is it in white at the top, or in a little speechbubble on the form. AND is it referring to your username or password?
  • Options
    @bscotchAdam‌ I don't know if you did something or not, but tried again to make sure, and it worked.