Options

Home-built engine over OpenGL?

makaissonmakaisson Bscotch Posts: 2 Babbyscotch
Hello, I just found you out and your games seem pretty interesting (specially your art-approach). I'm interested in which engine do you use to code them. I have read that you built a custom engine but I would like to know if you are doing that on SDL, OpenGL or another API etc On the other hand maybe something like box2d, cocos..

By the way it seems that you use inkscape for all your graphics. is that right? which sw do you use to get the keyframes for every animation?

I know this is worthless from someone you dont know and I'm aware I'm a newbie here but I really like what you are doing. Let me try some of your games!

Thank you !

Comments

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    Nope, we'd never build a custom engine! Takes too much time, and 99% of the time you're just reinventing the wheel.

We use Game Maker Studio for all our programming, and Inkscape for graphics.

Also, this is totally not worthless. We love helping people get rolling as game developers. We also have a game dev section in this very forum, where we have posted some resources if you're interested!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    makaissonmakaisson Bscotch Posts: 2 Babbyscotch
    Thank you! I'm interested in game dev. I have 2 engineer's degree, 1 master degree and I'm still unable to make something funny xDD
    I thought that GMS was useless when you want to get something cool but I guess I was wrong. It is not the same as DIV Game Studio (well that is quite old).
    I will look at GM but I love messing around with my code in a low-level fashion.
    Thank you for your effort !
  • Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    Game Maker can do absolutely anything you want it to. It's also great for keeping your focus on making the game, not the engine. A common mistake newer developers make (particularly those with programming backgrounds) is making game engines before they are any good at making games. Just focus on the games part for now, and you'll go places!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer