2D Game Dev: Tools for Getting Started

bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
edited July 2014 in Game Dev
Hey, gang! We often get approached by people who are looking to get into game development, and they don't know where to start. Well, we think the best place to start is with the tools. Once you have those, you can start playing around with them and making some awesome stuff. As people post more stuff, we can compile it into useful chunks and maybe get some pros/cons going on each setup.

The Butterscotch Setup
This is what we use at Butterscotch. It's really great for beginners because Game Maker has a drag-and-drop interface that you can use without learning lots of code. But still, as you learn to use it, you'll find yourself accidentally learning code in order to solve more complicated problems, and before you know it, you'll be a programming whiz! Plus, it's cheap and can export to all kinds of platforms.
Tile Isle's Haxeflixel Combo (Submitted by @SeiferTim)
Our buddy Tim swears by Haxeflixel, just as we swear by Game Maker. Haxeflixel is much more open, so you can bend it to your will however you like, but it's also going to be a little more difficult for someone who's just getting started with programming and game development.
Game Develop (Submitted by @CBenoit)
  • Game Develop - A simple and solid tool for aspiring developers who want to make games without all that pesky programming stuff! Can export to HTML5 and native, with mobile coming soon.
Know of any other useful tools floating around out there? Post em in here!

SETH COSTER
Butterscotch Shenanigans
Games Programmer

Comments

• SeiferTimSeiferTim Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 75 Shenaniduke
  • bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

Wait, you got your tutorial put on the HaxeFlixel main site? DAAAAAANG

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

I put it there myself 'cause they gave me access to the website's Git Repo ;)

SNEAKY SNEAKY. Looks good!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

Thanks!
    Here are some more tools that I've found useful:

Updated the main post.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

NOW YOU KNOW! Are you doing some game dev stuff?

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

It's hard to say right now. It has been kinda hit or miss for us. The times where it has made a huge improvement in game speed came at a cost of draining battery super fast and having the phone get a bit hot.

BUT we've only tried it on two games, so our sample isn't very big.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

LIKE THIS!

1. Get the tools

2. Go through the tutorials associated with those tools until you're comfortable enough to try something on your own, or just screw around with them until you can do something.

3. Come up with a super simple idea to execute, and try to make it happen.

If you can get through all three of those things, then everything else will follow.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• CBenoitCBenoit Bscotch Posts: 12 Babbyscotch

As I mentioned in my presentation, there is a great software to develop games without having to learn a programming language : Game Develop, I used to create games with it before and today, it's even more powerful (and open source since some day).

• UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    I agree. Game develop is an awesome piece of sofftware for people who aren't good at programming (some bases in programming are an advantage though) and is really easy to use. It only lacks some good games to demonstrate it's power. With it you can create games for Windows, linux and web. I believe it's better for create small game rather than complete big ones (but it is possible).
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• CBenoitCBenoit Bscotch Posts: 12 Babbyscotch
    edited July 2014

By the way, a feature to create games on smartphones is coming. Or maybe this is a new software. To check.

Cool; I'll add it to the list!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer