Options

Strategy Games

InferiorPickleInferiorPickle Bscotch, Tester Posts: 50 Butter Churner
edited July 2014 in Off Topic

I don't know why. I really like strategy games. I (currently) play Civ 5, Simcity, prison architect and game dev tycoon. I used to play zoo tycoon, rollercoaster tycoon, starcraft (one) and another game I can;t remember. Anyone want to discuss anything about strategy games? Does anyone play these games?

(Oh and the secret to success in game dev tycoon is mis-spelling game names)

Comments

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

I've been looking to get into the Civilization games forever, but have just never picked them up. Which one would you say is the best one?

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options

Wait a moment Seth. If you want to play civ, wait about a month and get hyped over Civilization: Beyond Earth. Although it does go a little bit away from the traditional form of Civ, it does look fun. Seriously. Just wait. IT'LL BE GOOD!!!

If you want a more traditional civ, get the complete version of Civ 5 (its on steam). But wait for that as well because it'll become a lot cheaper after the next civ comes out.

• Options

In other words do some good old research

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

WOOWEE! Yeah, I'll hold off for the next Civ. Plus, I love anything that has to do with sci-fi.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options

YEEUUP CAN'T WAIT TILL THE NEXT CIV GAME. EVEN THOUGH I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CASH!!! DAYUMN

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod

There is an old Sid Meier's in space (Alpha Centauri). There also is Pandora: First contact that kinda look like this but I believe it is a bit inferior. I think i'll give a try to Beyond Earth though.

If you like turn by turn strategy game, you also have Endless Space (and all the other "Endless" games). If you're cheap and you love oldies, take a look at Master of Orion 2 (it's a french website, but i don't know where to find it elsewhere. I don't know if you can play in English but the "Version automatique" is just an automated installation. Pretty nice. However, the CD version probably has the english version. Plus the game was only partly translated if I recall correctly). These two are in space and are about being the master of the galaxy by one way or another, not conquering an alien planet.

I personally prefer real time strategy games - even though i'm not a good player -, like Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander (old game/recent equivalent. Epic battles.), Age of Empires saga (because i can play with some friends), Impossible Creatures (i love this one, even if i was never able to pass half of the campaign) and SpellForce (it's an awesome RTS/RPG mix. I played it more like an RPG but whatever it's an awesome game). I currently play these. I could add Warcraft II/III which are nice too.

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch

Commercial : Fire Emblem <3

Open Source/Free: The Battle for Wesnoth. Turn-based strategy with 16 campaigns, and some Multiplayer as well. Quite challenging.

• Options

I tried Battle for Wesnoth. I don't remember having finished the first level. :neutral_face: 

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    fatbardfatbard Bscotch Posts: 50 Butter Churner

FINAL FANTASY TACTICS. My all time fav turn based-strategy. Sure the plot characters you get later were super OP (Orlandu I'm looking at you), but the game could be played so many ways with the jobs system. All ninjas? Sure. Solo Ramza calculator? Sure. Chocobo flock? Sure. It also had political intrigue, which wasn't used much in JRPGs at the time.

As far as RTS goes I'm a fan of Starcraft 2 for competitive and Warcraft 3 for super casual AI stomps. Does Roller Coaster Tycoon count as a strategy game? If so I frigging love it, played it a ton as a kid. Making coasters that people fall off of, letting people in and then trapping them in the park...hehe.

Patrick Crecelius, part of the game scoring and FX duo Fat Bard. Currently working with BScotch on Crashlands and Narwhal Online.

www.FatBardMusic.com

• Options

Whoah so many games. Too bad I'm broke

for some free games, try hex wars and Feudalism 2

• Options
    SeiferTimSeiferTim Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 75 Shenaniduke
    FINAL FANTASY TACTICS

Yes. Great soundtrack, too. I've never managed to BEAT this game - I've lost my save SO MANY TIMES over the years.

For similar games, I would suggest http://www.cardhunter.com/ which is a free game (that you can spend real money on if you want) which is pretty good, and the Pokémon Conquest game is really neat, too.

I like Civ V a lot, although I'd love to play it with other people for once.

If you want a game that is all about building/maintaining a community, like Sim City, or Prison Architect, take a look at Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

It is INSANE the amount of details you can deal with and the crazy situations that can arise out of it. Here is a story about things that could have and probably actually did happen IN-GAME: http://bronzemurder.timdenee.com/

• Options
    Hey Seifer, multiplayer?

• Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke

Banished by Shining Rick Software, all created, developed, updated.... everything by one guy. So far I've only managed to keep a stable population of about 150. Most I've had is 300-something before winter plagues hut. So frustrating but I find it enjoyable.

I like Prison Architect as well. Not so much a fan of Civ, I find it swings between either far too hard or so easy its boring so I dont play it often.

Old school SimCity (and 2000) were what got me started. I really want the new one and the expansion but its too far out of my budget right now.

Suprene Commander is a LAN favourite.  So many memories with that. =D

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Supreme Commander is awesome. I bought it with Forged Alliance for 1€ (not even a single buck). Sadly, I've never managed to get my friends to do a LAN of it (or once for like, 30 minutes) and I'm not good enough for the campaign. Still it is an awesome game.