Options

Inkscape Timelapses

bscotchsambscotchsam Administrator Posts: 106 Developer
edited July 2014 in Game Dev
YOOHOOOOOOOOO. Every so often I slap together a timelapse vid of my inkscaping, along with some smooth-jazz voiceovers to explain what's going on. I'll keep them compiled here for anyone wanting to get some more eyes on Inkscape and all its illustrationy glory.

Wood statue
Gold chest
Escape pod

Comments

• Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke
    Love watching these. Keep thinking I need to acquire Inkscape and give it a shot myself every time I see these on YouTube. Keep making them. They're inspirational. Love watching you guys work. 

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

Nothing's stoppin' ya, Mea!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options

Well currently work is.  It's an evil but necessary hobby that takes me away from my passions 4 days a week. XD

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Yeah only because they won't give me five. Plus I need the 3 day 'weekends' to work on my other 2 businesses. Struggling so hard to get anywhere with them right now but I keep trying. And I'm starting up another in the next month or so with my fiance. Urgh.

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

I just fixed the first link, but not sure about the other two. They're just Youtube vids!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    DocDoc Bscotch Posts: 21 Butter Churner
    I will be using these while I learn this initially frustrating program. 
    Cool People have Signatures B)
  • Options
    zubie311zubie311 Bscotch Posts: 5 Babbyscotch
    Your time-lapses have inspired me to use Inkscape for any future development I will be doing.

But I have a question: You have mapped your hot keys differently, I was wondering where I could find the xml file for your mappings? They seem better than the default!

Keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @JustinLeeBarker‌ OH MAN YOU HAVE NO IDEA. He also put together an Autohotkey script to add even more shortcuts, and I made him a piece of software to heatmap where his mouse spent the most time on-screen to find out what else could be hotkeyed. That guy is out of control.
  • Options
    Wow, that's awesome. Is he going to, or already, posted it somewhere?
    I would love to see what he came up with.(And use it myself :))
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    I have no idea. I'm sure @BscotchSam‌ will find his way to this thread in the next day or so.
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    Sam posted it somewhere around here. I'll take a look.
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    Thanks a bunch, I will give it a try!
  • Options
    You're welcome man!

• Options
    I cleaned up the folder, since a few random things found their way in there. As Adam said, I've added another suite of 2 dozen or so hotkeys via autohotkey. When you've gotten a handle on the configuration there let me know, and I'll make an advanced mapping that shows all of those, too.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Phew now that Ludum Dare 31 is over I wanted to know more about this "Advanced Mapping" you were talking about in your post above?

I thought you would like to know that without these inkscape videos I wouldn't have made art as good as I did last weekend.

You have inspired me alot!
    Here is a link to my game in case you wanted to see what you have inspired: http://goo.gl/IU363S

Thanks for all you do!
    Justin Barker
  • Options
    @JustinLeeBarker‌ that game turned out awesome. Did you use bone animation for all the smoothness? And that Arrow-Draw animation is really solid. NICELY DONE.

The Advanced Mapping I've done uses a program called Autohotkey. Grab that, install it, and try making a script that handles something in Inkscape that you find yourself doing a lot of (changing opacity, for instance) and which isn't currently hotkeyable through inkscapes default xml file.

You can find my mappings over here. There are more than is visible in the PDF file now, as I've added another dozen or so, but it should give you an idea. It's good to work with the program a bit and figure out how it is you work, then pay attention to your process, find things you do routinely, and take the time to write a script. Eventually it feels like you're playing a piano and images are just shooting out, which is about the speed you want to be going.

Note that the opacitywin8 one is the most up to date. You may need to modify it based on your own resolution, which you can do by figuring out where your mouse goes by hitting ALT+X once the script is loaded, and then taking that value and plugging it in in place of the ones I've provided.

Congrats on the game!