Options

First try of Inkscape eva!

UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
edited August 2014 in Off Topic

So I had nothing to do and Sam's awesome timelapses on Inkscape made me want to try the soft. So here is a result. It's some random thing (a cross between some characters i think. I followed my first line to do my drawing). The result is not great but still it looks like something and that was my goal.

And why showing this here? I don't know. I wanted to show it to some one.

In fact, it is really a great software. And @BscotchSam you're awesome as hell. It's easy to use but hard to master and your results are great!

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

Comments

• Options
    bscotchsambscotchsam Administrator Posts: 106 Developer

Better than my first one ever! I actually just did an intro talk on Inkscape this Monday for the St. Louis crew, you can check it out over here if you want some pro-tips!

Grats on taking the jump :D

• Options
    fatbardfatbard Bscotch Posts: 50 Butter Churner

I've used photoshop a lot and feel comfortable with it. I have no idea what I'm doing w inkscape and even doing the simpler stuff seems impossible. I think I'll be watching Sam's video :).

Patrick Crecelius, part of the game scoring and FX duo Fat Bard. Currently working with BScotch on Crashlands and Narwhal Online.

www.FatBardMusic.com

• Options
    edited August 2014

@BscotchSam Thanks a lot! Not at home for now but I'll watch this video (and all your timelapses too), even if it's not my main project yet, it's always good to learn (for some times later)!

Oh, and would it be possible to have the link or a picture of "fuck this entire half" thing somewhere here please? I don't plan on strictly copying it but it can also serve as a reference of the usefull tools :smile: 

P.S. I just tried to imitate what i saw in your timelapses. It's still far from your results though. Butt I have some time to learn.

P.P.S Your way of speaking is pretty awesome to understand for a non native english-speaking like me

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options

Here's the dropbox link to the hotkey mapping and a pdf of it! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t8zfj5kzkgm283d/AAAkbgUJmLyF9t47wD-WPtfza

• Options

Awesome! Thanks a lot! :smiley: 

• Options
    TimConceivableTimConceivable Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 114 Butter Churner

hey @BscotchSam do you have a key for locking objects in there?  i couldn't find that anywhere (or on the menu), but i thought it was an option usually.  the only way i found to do it was to right-click the object and open it's properties.  there's got to be an easier way, right?  do you ever lock objects?

[ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

You can set up a locked layer and move objects into that layer! But I think Sam rarely locks things.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @TimConceivable‌ I never lock/unlock or use layers.

That takes time. 

• Options

However, clever usage of GROUPS should alleviate many of your issues.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options

well, i asked because i wanted to make sure my ants were spaced evenly apart to make a spirte strip (or whatever you call it) for the walk-cycle.  so i was making boxes to put them in and i wanted to keep from selecting the boxes while working on the ants.  also, i've occasionally brought in jpgs to trace in Inkscape and found it easier to lock them for the same reason.  thanks for the input guys!

[ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options
    B3A5TB3A5T Bscotch Posts: 39 Butter Churner

How on earth do you guys get those amazing lighting effects?! I can't seem to do that. Whenever I try using some of the filters, the image really gets messed up (crooked around the edges and weird stiff like that). However, I am currently in the belief that its cuz of my laptop- very old. 

B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options

What lighting effects?

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    edited August 2014
    you don't know?? Am I going insane?(<=Most probably) How did you get the little white bubbles in quadropus rampage to seem so perfectly positioned on the sprites' body and the shading? did you use the filters or just did it yourselves?

B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options

Sam just drew white spots on stuff then reduced the opacity a bit, to make it look shiny. For shadows, he draws shapes on the undersides of things and makes them black with 30% opacity. That's about it!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    edited August 2014

Really? That's amazing!! It still looks so realistic! My best attempt at that was a few squiggly lines behind the pathetic stick figure i drew and so I ventured further into the world of Inkscape to find other ways to shade. The other methods don't work on my laptop. :s Thnx anyway, maybe next time i'll take more time in the shading!!

B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options

@B3A5T‌ did you see this thread??  watch the videos. you should find answers there.  http://forums.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/discussion/4/inkscape-timelapses

[ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options

Have you checked out Sam's timelapse videos?

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer