Butterscotch Minis & Jam Games (A List)

bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
edited July 2014 in Butterscotch Jam Games
SUP BSCOTCHES! Here I'll try to keep an up-to-date list of all our minigames/jam games and where/how you can play them (if at all possible).

Minis

These are little games that we made super fast and then published somewhere!

Flop Rocket (10 hours) [Android] [Video]
You're a test pilot for an extremely underfunded space program. So underfunded, in fact, that the only real estate your space program could afford for its launch pad happens to be in the depths of an infinite underground cave system. The future of our space program rests on your shoulders!

Roid Rage (12 hours) [Android] [Gameplay Video] [Dev Timelapse Video]
SUP, SPACE PILOT. Our JUICE tanker crashed and spilled a fat load of JUICE into a nearby asteroid field, and we need someone to GET IN THERE and recover all that SWEET, SWEET JUICE. You're the best person for the job, because you happened to be nearby and you've got an infinite supply of extremely fragile space ships. Just think of this as an unpaid internship.

Freeway Mutant (10 hours) [Android] [iOS] [Video]
Run wild on the freeway in a lush American suburb. Collect uranium, bolts, gold, and your enemies' kidneys to craft a fierce array of guns to display JUST HOW ALPHA YOUR MUTANTNESS IS.

Extreme Burger Defense (10 hours) [Android] [Video]
You're a scientist who just made LITERALLY THE TASTIEST BURGER EVER. The problem? It attracts EVERY SINGLE BEAR. Place towers of sciency death around the forest to fend off an ever-embiggening wave of bar-BEAR-ians.

Jam Games

These are games we made for Game Jam-style events, including competitions and the like!

Torso Demon Saga - Global Game Jam 2014 [Windows] [Video]
You and your buddy are limbless demons trapped in the evil catacombs of the Torchpixies. Murder torchpixies with your stretchy rope fire while avoiding the mouths of ravenous shadowbeasts! Play with two Xbox or Playstation controllers!

Shep Hard - 2nd Place, Indie Speed Run 2013 [Windows] [Video]
Become a dual-eyepatched maniacal shepherd who just wants to live out his lifelong dream of collecting 10 platinum sheep.

Shucks! - BscotchJam (8 hours) [Windows] [Video]
Or, better known as its full title, "Shucks, I crashed my ship on some horrible planet and now I have to explode heads until I find the right parts (so I can rebuild my ship and leave)." We really let the title do the narrative heavy lifting on this one.

I CAN'T SEE SHIT! - BscotchJam (8 hours) [Windows] [Video]
Become a blind turnip in a deep underground network of death and despair. Then fling your squealy voice around to reveal the environment. It's fun for the whole family!

Xtreme Slothcycling - BscotchJam (8 hours) [Windows] [Video]
Become a rabbit riding a sloth as he ab-rolls his way across the countryside! How far can you go? Answer: probably 7 or so.

Quadropus Rampage (Original) - 7-Day Roguelike Challenge [Windows] [Video]
The Quadropus Rampage you all know and love. But did you know it was originally made for a game jam? Check out the ORIGINAL Quadropus Rampage here!

I Know CPR! - Global Game Jam 2013 [Windows] [Mac] [Video]
This game takes two players: one to run around while repeatedly having a series of heart attacks, and another to beat the first player in the chest rhythmically to keep his heart from exploding.

Bread Brothers - St Louis Summer Jam 2012 [Windows]
Also a two-player game! Slap your slices together, plug in some controllers, and use your bread guns to defeat a never-ending onslaught of poorly optimized knives. Probably one of the worst things we made, but we love it for some reason.

Towelfight of the Gods - Global Game Jam 2012 [Windows] [Video]
This was made BEFORE BUTTERSCOTCH SHENANIGANS EVEN EXISTED! But it was the very first game Sam and I made as a two-person team. Around the time we finished this, Sam looked at me and said, "You know, I feel like... we could actually... make games for real." So then we did.

SETH COSTER
Butterscotch Shenanigans
Games Programmer

Comments

• MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke

I have played............... not as many of them as I thought. I am a terrible fan. *seppuku*

Although this reminds me I need to acquire ShepHard. I actually watched you guys making that (was that one you streamed? Or maybe I just saw the vid when it first came out) and I wanted it but it wasn't released yet.

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

I think we just released a Youtube video after the fact. And yeah, we weren't allowed to make it available to the public until judging was over! BOOOO!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod

Bread Brothers link is dead. I played/tried almost all of these.

I don't know why but i loved Extreme Burger Defense, even if it was far from a finished game, and passed so time on Freeway Mutant. I think it is my personal best with Shep Hard.

Just tried I know CPR and it's pretty hard but fun concept. Can't play Torso Demon Saga i don't have controllers :/

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

Fixed Bread Bros! It's a two-player game, though.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod

I wanted to play it badass and write "When you're alone, it's not a two-player game, it's a brain challenge". Turns out the challenge was too hard. It seems pretty nice though.

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• fatbardfatbard Bscotch Posts: 50 Butter Churner

Who did the voice overs in towelfight 1?

Patrick Crecelius, part of the game scoring and FX duo Fat Bard. Currently working with BScotch on Crashlands and Narwhal Online.

www.FatBardMusic.com

I DID!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• fatbardfatbard Bscotch Posts: 50 Butter Churner

You scary when you're pitch shifted down. Gotta get you on a creature fo sho. I Can't See Shit is one of my fav jams you guys did. I think that kind of game works better as a platformer. I've seen someone do an idea kind of like that in FPS form with ink shooting onto terrain, but it doesn't look fun at all. My bro loved Quadropus, I got him hooked on it recently during a vacation and he kept laughing out of nowhere at the weapon names while we were hanging out at the hotel. It was awkward.

Patrick Crecelius, part of the game scoring and FX duo Fat Bard. Currently working with BScotch on Crashlands and Narwhal Online.

www.FatBardMusic.com

edited July 2014

HA! I pitched it down and added some kind of reverb to it or something.

I've seen a few "blind" concepts in first-person as well, but I agree that the platformer thang works a bit better. We have had some talk about taking time to flesh out I Can't See Shit as a much larger puzzle platformer. It could definitely be a crazy exercise in memory and skill, if we built it right.

TOO MANY PROJECTS!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch

Slightly off-topic :(

Have you guys considered once in a while, to spend a monday on updating one of your more successful games(Quadropus, etc.) ?   :)

We've thought about it, but those games usually take quite a bit more time than a day to update! The bigger the games get, the more involved it is to update even simple things, because everything is interconnected. That's why it's so easy for us to make a game in 10 hours, but if you look at a game after 48 hours, or two weeks, every day of work seems to add less and less to the game.

It's just the nature of the beast!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch
    edited July 2014

Another slightly off-topic(sorry) question.

Just curious about the financial success of each game. How profitable have each of your games been?

edited July 2014
    All of our minigames have come out profitable except for Extreme Burger Defense (which we didn't monetize in any way).

The trick with them is that they only took a day or two to make, so the bar for success is about... 100 bucks. Granted, they are minigames with limited appeal and life, so we don't expect them to go gangbusters. But they do all right!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer