Testers needed! (closed)

bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
edited September 2014 in Butterscotch News
UPDATE: We're on to the next phase. Thanks to everyone who gave it a try! We'll let you know when you can grab your ID soon.

No, no, not for Crashlands (yet). Sorry to get you all excited.

We're putting together a login system for our games. The goal is to do fun stuff like cross-game rewards/unlockables and, eventually, our own multiplayer network. Assuming we can get it all to work (which is why we haven't officially announced it) we'll do a staggered roll-out, implementing it in one game at a time with the goal of having it available in all games prior to the Crashlands launch.

So here's the deal. We need to make sure that this registration system is ROBUST. We've never made one before, and need to make sure what we put together can withstand anything our thousands of future users throw at it. I'm hoping y'all can do us a solid before we launch this thing: try to break the registration system!

If you find anything that is unexpected, unintuitive, or seems broken, please post it here. Screenshots will be super-helpful, along with a precise description of what you did that led to that result. A few things to consider:
  1. Use your own, real email addresses. The registration requires email verification, and it would be lame to cause automated emails to be sent to other people, and you wouldn't be able to test it if you use fake emails!
  2. There is nothing to log into (yet), so any password you set is basically irrelevant.
  3. I'll be able to see the IDs, emails, and hashed versions of the passwords (I can't recover the actual password) you put in, but I will not share these with anyone.
  4. EVERYTHING WILL BE DELETED prior to launch. So you can't reserve your username (yet).
Things to try:
  1. Can you register a new account?
  2. Can you verify that account?
  3. Can you change your password?
  4. Can you register multiple usernames with the same email address?
  5. Can you register multiple email addresses with a single input?
Try pretending to be an idiot, and just do things that don't seem to make any sense to see if I've accounted for them!

Comments

• almightyzentacoalmightyzentaco Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 35 Babbyscotch
    I did the thing. It worked. I will go through the list for you guys, item by item, because I'm just that kind of guy.

1. Yes I can, and I did!
    2. Yes, I could and I did!
    3.  Seems like it works. You get the email for clicking the "Forgot your password/login" link, and following it seems to reset everything. Can't verify since there is no way to login  that I can see.
    4. Nope, I could not register multiple usernames on the same email. It would not allow it.
    5.  Dunno, didn't try.

Hope that helps guys!
  • UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    edited September 2014
    It seems that the 5 points are working fine for me. The password recovery thingy took me a minute or two to figure out where I needed to click though (too discrete compared to the rest or I was tired).

Temporary code really works temporary

Since you offer two validation ways. Detecting if the account is already activated could be nice, because this:

shows even if the account is already registered so it may be confusing.

Hope this helps too!

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Kiwicat4444Kiwicat4444 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 20 Butter Churner
    I'm genuinely impressed by how brilliant the "don't be a jerk policy" is !

• HopeofGloryHopeofGlory Bscotch Posts: 24 Babbyscotch
    Where is the password recovery button?
  • bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    Hey, all, thanks for the quick feedback! I'll dig into this tomorrow and may send some follow-up questions.
  • WearyAmoebaWearyAmoeba Bscotch Posts: 2 Babbyscotch
    Finally I'll be able to prove that I am the worst Quadropus Rampage player ever!
  • bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @Kiwicat4444‌ Hey, thanks! I'm really looking forward to ENFORCING IT.