Options

Announcing NARWHAL ONLINE!

bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
edited October 2014 in Narwhal Online
[UPDATE] The prototype is now OFFLINE.

We made it this past weekend!

Go get it before someone takes your spot! Only the first 1,000 players to sign up will get to play, because it's super alpha mode. You'll need a BscotchID to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzQkhygSlFU

Blog post here.

SETH COSTER
Butterscotch Shenanigans
Games Programmer

Comments

• Options
    Duh83Duh83 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 76 Butter Churner
    Just downloaded!  I have a whole folder on my android home screen just for your games! 
  • Options
    HOORAH! This one's a bit on the rougher side since we slapped it together over a couple days, but it's a pretty fun little prototype. Let us know what you think! We're considering making a full game out of the concept.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch
    Installed on PC.

Played a couple times.
    You just click around, learn enemies, and avoid & kill them, yes? Just making sure I'm not missing anything. :D 

I like the whole singleplayer-yet-MMO team effort mechanic.
  • Options
    Yep, that's the whole game!

Not a lot of content, since it was made in a couple days. More of a proof of concept.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    WearyAmoebaWearyAmoeba Bscotch Posts: 2 Babbyscotch
    That was a ton of fun.  Great soundtrack too.  It felt like the enemies were spawn camping and for some reason I found that really fun.  Can't wait for more.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the feedback SENOR AMOEBA! I definitely screwed up the enemy spawning algorithm; they don't try to spawn very far away from you. But then again, they're giant worms, which means they're sort of dicks.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @PattyC‌ You got some props on the soundtrack!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    edited October 2014
    That's pretty fun! I wonder what you'll do next.

All of the stuff under is technical details that may interrest you even if it's not useful by itself.
    I didn't find a bug.
    However, the menu seems to act weirdly when the connection is really slow (it is only a suspicion, based on my try of a chaotic, slow, open wi-fi on Android) since it shows text like there's no connection even if there is one.
    That's sad that we can't keep our progression from Android to PC :/
    It is also possible to run both at the same time. You may, if you want to continue further, add a verification process.
    In other things, the process is still called "Fence" and the web link too.
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    XP counter does not reset after dying.
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    YEAH... XP counter is definitely a bug. No worries. That's how an alpha do!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    R4V3NR4V3N Bscotch Posts: 40 Butter Churner
    edited October 2014
    I suspect the team randomization is not too random (Judging by the leaderboard).Although having been assigned to the winning majority I'll protest about the inequality quietly. Are the upgrades capped at 6 or is mine just bugging? Hoarding copious amounts of spice in the hopes I come across some other ingredients, thinking a stew or curry.A suggestion for the excess spice after reaching stat cap, possible one time boosters to be purchased on start or a large number of spice to be converted into one juice?Loving the main menu music, took a break and can still hear the melody echoing around the inside of my head.Come on you Greens!
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    Some answers:

It is random, but this is a small sample so we've got some SELECTION BIAS. The future version will force an exact 1:1:1 ratio (though this will get skewed if one team has fewer active players!).

Upgrades are capped to the community depth (6 at the moment), so they go up when the community levels up!

We do indeed have plans for the excess spice.

Thank @PattyC‌ for the killer music.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Okay I'm ranked #1 (Yay Me!), and I've noticed that the reward/time ratio is off.In that I am able to gather more juice in a shorter period of time if I repeat depths 1-3 than die. As the difficulty seems to get ramped up at about depth 4, taking longer to clear, but the chances of me getting a juice remain the same, making it more profitable (although boring) to repeat the easier levels where the Mobs die quicker. Perhaps if there was a chance the larger versions of mobs dropped juice or if later chests gave more juice there would be more incentive to get deeper.Finally managed to get depth 6 and caught a nasty spawn between some rocks and some large critters,got stun locked on first dash.Loving the game and still loving the music, thanks @PattyC
  • Options
    DocDoc Bscotch Posts: 21 Butter Churner
    Since the current point of factions is to be on a team that will get upgrades. Could it be like Planetside 2 where when you win a round then you will get a perk for the next round instead of keeping one for the current round. Or maybe even get a cool item
    Cool People have Signatures B)
  • Options
    @Doc not a bad idea!

@R4V3N GOOD POINT. It is the case though that on the final depth, every room you clear drastically increases the chance of getting juice.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Alternatively you could reduce the chances of a juice drop on the first few depths, because even with an increased drop rate at later depths I am able to clear depths 1-3 (multiple rooms/multiple chances) in about the same time it takes me to clear 2 rooms (2 chances) at depth 5. Also what's up with the lack of chest when clearing a depth? Clearing a depth should be rewarded, perhaps when the floor portal thingie opens it could spit out a few spices and a chance at an item/juice?
  • Options
    DocDoc Bscotch Posts: 21 Butter Churner
    R4V3N said:
    Alternatively you could reduce the chances of a juice drop on the first few depths, because even with an increased drop rate at later depths I am able to clear depths 1-3 (multiple rooms/multiple chances) in about the same time it takes me to clear 2 rooms (2 chances) at depth 5. Also what's up with the lack of chest when clearing a depth? Clearing a depth should be rewarded, perhaps when the floor portal thingie opens it could spit out a few spices and a chance at an item/juice?
         Yesss... give that thing some nice slimy lips and have goodies be spat out like watermelon seeds.
    Cool People have Signatures B)
  • Options
    TimConceivableTimConceivable Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 114 Butter Churner
    edited October 2014
    this damn game is addictive!  i want to help out Bluish though.
    [ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options
    fatbardfatbard Bscotch Posts: 50 Butter Churner
    Nah let them struggle! They don't even have a proper color name, screw em :wink: 

Patrick Crecelius, part of the game scoring and FX duo Fat Bard. Currently working with BScotch on Crashlands and Narwhal Online.

www.FatBardMusic.com

• Options
    B3A5TB3A5T Bscotch Posts: 39 Butter Churner
    is it possible to switch between factions??
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    B3A5TB3A5T Bscotch Posts: 39 Butter Churner
    The links above to the applications don't work anymore- it says "The file you're looking for has been moved or deleted." The links on the website still work tho. Why?
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    OH because we reorganized our Dropbox and didn't fix those links...
  • Options
    Fixed!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    B3A5T said:
    is it possible to switch between factions??
    Not in this version, but in the final version... PROBABLY!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer