And so joins the 3rd BScotch Brother. Questions?

Comments

• UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod

Do you know if Crashlands will be playable on an old crappy Android 2.3.7 with a middle end smartphone (from the end of 2.3.7)? In other words, will Crashlands be heavier than Quadropus Rampage and Towelfight 2?

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

I'LL TAKE THIS ONE!

Ulnarevern said:

Do you know if Crashlands will be playable on an old crappy Android 2.3.7 with a middle end smartphone (from the end of 2.3.7)? In other words, will Crashlands be heavier than Quadropus Rampage and Towelfight 2?

It's definitely going to be more intense on the CPU and GPU than Towelfight or Quadropus. Although we're going out of our way to optimize this beast, it's just much much bigger, with lots more things going on at once.

We're using a Galaxy S3 as our baseline testing device, since it's over 2 years old and two generations of devices have come after it. Crashlands runs 100% perfectly on that!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

edited August 2014

Oh, ok. That should be kinda playable on my old phone then (Xperia U). More or less. Thanks for the instant answer :smile: 

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Duh83Duh83 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 76 Butter Churner

should run nice and smooth on my Galaxy s5 then.  And I still check your website everyday to see where it comes out 

• CyberKlown28CyberKlown28 Bscotch Posts: 48 Babbyscotch

Crashlands Crashlands Crashlands!

Crashlands Crashlands Crashlands!

Indeed.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

Any chance it comes out this month? :)

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer

BAHAHAHAHAHA! Depends on the distance function you use.

edited August 2014

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

@CyberKlown28‌ Just remember, the longer it takes the better it will be!

It's like a delicious stew.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

Will there be a 'Crashlands: Game of the Year Edition' if it tops Google Play's charts? :)

That'd be a pretty big "if"! It's not really designed to be a top grossing game or to get a bajillion downloads. We're just keeping our eye toward making a really dang good game.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

I know. :)  It'd just be cool to see an awesome team up there over Candy Crush, etc.  :dizzy_face: 
    edited August 2014
    People have not enough personality to play awesome games.
    I have another question to Adam/the Bscotch: How's life? Workin' hard and stuff? :smile:
    And are the shaders progressing?

@Ulnarevern‌ Life is GREAT, thanks! We ran into some trouble with the shaders, namely that my super-cool full-screen zoom-blur effect (that increases as your health decreases) gave device-specific results on our varied Androids. So we're probably going to have to have those special effect off by default and then have an option to turn them on. Or something. We're finishing up some massive re-designing of Crashlands, and so I'll get back to FX once things settle down a bit. One of us will (probably) put a blog post together this week to give everyone an update.

But for the past week I've switched focus over to more pressing matters related to Internet stuff. I suspect we'll have a big reveal once the prototyping is done, but the idea is that we want a way for players to unlock unique content in one Bscotch game by playing a totally different Bscotch game. Think Crashlands weapons in Quadropus, Bingo as a 'Jectile in TF2 after you defeat Pete, and so on. We don't have concrete plans YET, though, and will invariably run into some unforeseen problems, so I'm not promising we'll pull it off!
    All of this sounds awesome! Except the shaders problems obviously but you'll find a way to do it. Good luck :smile: The unique content would be just GREAT if you are able to do it!

Oh, question for the Bscotch team: have you ever considered making a Towelfight 3 or Quadropus Rampage 2 in the future (close or far) ?

@Ulnarevern‌ While we do toss the idea around every once in a while, I can safely say that we have no current plans to do any off those things. We'll keep with our model of entertaining many ideas but not choosing one until it's time to start development.
    Okay. So we'll have to wait and see. And I guess you're right about choosing one idea only when it's time to begin development. Thanks for the answer :)

Can we have real life Infinipacks?
    If only! We haven't yet started up our Worm Hole R&D wing of Bstotch. But SOON...
    Any Crashlands release date announcement soon? :) Picked up a google play card today and want to know if I should wait, or go buy other gamesss.

<3
    Nope... But we're getting damn close to a first round of playtesting.
    Cool, take your time. :)
    Sorry for all the 'where is crashlands bjgikbjg?!?!?!' questions.
    Another question - even if the answer is probably yes:
    Could your games be released on PC? (it's an hypothetical question)
    If so, would it be "as is" (except for controls) or would it need modifications?

@Ulnarevern‌ GOOD QUESTION. We'd like to, in general, release our games with slight per-platform variations but otherwise put them on as many devices as possible. This can be super-tricky since having balanced controls on one platform may create imbalance on another. Further, how people pay for things differs dramatically as well. On PC, people will pay for games (sometimes), a little for in-app purchases (though they complain), and will spew venom if they see ads. It's almost exactly the opposite on Android.

So, in short, WE HAVE PLANS but it's a tricky problem.

No worries on the 'WHEN'S CRASHLANDS!?" questions -- you'll notice that I keep my answers nice and ambiguous :).
    Interesting... I have a two new questions that follow the previous one:
    If you ever release your games on PC, have you considered solding it (as a bundle, separately)? (it's probably too early since you are still in your plans phase)
    And if you release your games on new devices, will you try to make it cross-playable? (synchronizing the saves between two version)

I actually do have the answer for that last question. We've kicked around the idea of cross-platform progress saving, but there is a tricky problem that makes it nearly impossible. If a player has a synched save, then progresses on one device without synching, then goes and progresses on the other device, the save has been forked into two incompatible saves. Our options would be then to choose one and write over the other, attempt to merge the saves (which would be a disaster), require and always-on Internet connection so that we can guarantee an absence of forking, or not have synched saves at all.

We're hoping to do some sort of synching for other things with the login system I'm working on, and I won't rule out game save synching for future games if the game design allows for it.