Options

Narwhal Online Bugs & Suggestions

DocDoc Bscotch Posts: 21 Butter Churner
edited October 2014 in Narwhal Online
   Suggestions and Bug Report

So... Narwhal Online is out, heck yeahhhh.
I love the game so much so far and since it is in alpha stages right now that means that things are going to change. So this OP is going to be some of the issues I have found so far and some of my suggestions for the game :)

Bugs/Issues :
- Xp Number Reset : After each play through the health and the level will reset but the amount of xp that you have will stay the same. This makes it so at higher levels, after you die you can easily get to level 2 if you had 475 Xp in your health bar, you will get set back to 0 and be level 2 after you gain more xp.

- Corner Room Shift : Whenever you have a side door open to move through you should go to the door.  Sometimes I will go to the top corner and still be shifted into the next room, even if I didn't go through the door. The space you need to collide with to get inside the door should be smaller.

- Spawning : Sometimes, as many of you have probably noticed, we can get easily shot right off of the spawn when one of those slimy termites standing right next to us. Some temporary invulnerability or different spawning mechanics would be awesome :wink: 

- Moving to Main Screen Room from other Rooms - The "Disconnected From the Web" pops up briefly and the buttons go to a different image_index. They do quickly return to the proper state, but it looks kinda buggy.

- Moving to Main Screen on initial launch - The narwhals will sometimes be the wrong color for around 1 second or so.

* I know I am being very picky here, but like your mothers have said, I do it because I love you.

Suggestions - (Things that would be flippin' awesome)

- In game leaderboards - I know it is very early in development, but having a leaderboard in game would be awesome, so I don't have to have my internet be on.

- Different colored depths - It would be cool if every depth had a different color instead of green, green, and green.  These termites need to get some fashion taste in their lives and try some different colors out :grin:

- Bosses - Boss battles at the end of some of the depths, maybe every 5 or 10, Since we arn't too far into the game yet as a community, I would not be surprised to see one soon anyway, but just want to assure the idea is out there :)

- Notification Feed on main menu - A feed that will show some of the most impressive runs that have recently gone, so it might say, "Doc just defeated 231 Slimy Termites in one go", "BscotchSeth just collected 13 Juice", "bscotchsam just put the Red Team ahead", "bscotchAdam just took Rank 1"... Cool stuff like that so that the players can go, "HECK Yeah, I'm on the front page of Narwhal Online!!! What do you have to show mom?!?!".

- Customizable Horns - Whats better than a narwhal? A decked out narwhal... that way you can be all like...

Anyway, I am excited to see what you guys do with this game and what everyone else thinks would be cool to be in the game!

Please share any suggestions everybody so this game can get M0r Aw3some.

Cool People have Signatures B)

Comments

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    AWW YEAH DOC! These are all great points, and we'll be hitting every dang one of these for the final version.

The only one that would be a problem would be this: 
    "In game leaderboards - I know it is very early in development, but having a leaderboard in game would be awesome, so I don't have to have my internet be on."

Since we have to connect to the internet to retrieve the info, this would be NIGH IMPOSSIBLE! Unless you meant your browser?

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    R4V3NR4V3N Bscotch Posts: 40 Butter Churner
    Rooms cleared, not sure if when you die the rooms cleared number is for the specific depth you died at or a total for that play-through...if it's a total it's bugged.
  • Options
    Also, I think some clarification on how the critical damage stats work. Is the percent the increased damage amount or the crit chance, or both... or neither..??
  • Options
    @R4V3N‌ It shows the rooms you cleared that depth, though it's supposed to show total for that run.

@Doc You have a 5% chance to critically strike universally, and the upgrades give you a higher damage modifier on your crits. It starts at 150% of normal damage!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @R4V3N‌ I'm not really sure either :). The stats are a little wonky yet.

@Doc A lot of the really cool stuff we want to do with the game will require an always-on connection. Since phones are prone to falling off network, we'll definitely need to work on a smoother way to do this!
  • Options
    I was also wondering if there are any perks to hitting multiple enemies in one dash? It is a very skillful aspect to the game and requires planning out a few moves ahead. So far my method is to think ahead 3 moves, position myself, attack, and remove myself from harm.

I think that combos would be a cool addition to the game and that damage modifiers could apply to those hit later in the combo (ex. The last guy on a 3 termite chain would get hit with an extra 20% of damage and the second termite would take an extra 10%)  Just a thought, not 100% needed but it would be cool to see.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, we'll have combos. LOTS OF COMBOS!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @BscotchSeth‌ AAAAWWWSSSOOMMEEEEEEEE!!!!
  • Options
    In regards to the attack speed item, does it add to damage or is just an increase in movement speed? A glossary would be a nice touch, so that I can see possible item drops/know what to call the various mobs I decimate. Loving the game so far, looking forward to seeing it fleshed out
  • Options
    R4V3N said:
    In regards to the attack speed item, does it add to damage or is just an increase in movement speed? A glossary would be a nice touch, so that I can see possible item drops/know what to call the various mobs I decimate. Loving the game so far, looking forward to seeing it fleshed out
    Their names are Yucky Termite 1, Yucky Termite 2, and Yucky Termite 3 (of various sizes of course)

Did you guys come up with any names or were you just like, one dat spits, one dat spits a lot, and one that screws you over because he is super mean and can fly. :mrgreen:

:mask:
  • Options
    Oh, could someone with godlike powers pretty please move this thread to the Narwhal online discussion.  The idiot who made the original post put it in the wrong place.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    A bug on the android version.If you hit the back button after clearing a room of mobs and than hit play from the title screen it takes you to the next room (spawning you in the centre), if you clear the final room of a depth and hit back and than press play when you go back in all the mobs respawn and the room number goes beyond the max, so 4/4 can become 5/4 6/4 7/4 etc. Only possible exploit I can see for this is that if you hit back at the start of the round and than play,each time you go back in the enemies are randomly generated so it is possible to cherry pick who you want to fight and avoid the harder mobs. It is also possible to go to the next room without opening your treasure chest.
  • Options
    Weird. Good catch!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Is this on PC?

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Oh, I noticed that you can log in on multiple devices and play. Will this be something that will be fixed in the future?
  • Options
    You don't want to log in on multiple devices? :)
  • Options
    B3A5TB3A5T Bscotch Posts: 39 Butter Churner
    edited October 2014
    Might that not enable a player to cheat by having many people playing on the same file at the same time? [Just noticed that these last four comments r all questions. Might as well go with the flow :smiley: ]
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    Yeah I suppose so. Trying to block cheating, having, and piracy is a never ending battle. Cheaters always find a way.
  • Options
    You could do something like turning the profile off on one device if its on on another device like in Clash of Clans so then you cant go on the same file on two devices at the same time
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    Spices and upgrades aren't transferred onto accounts on separate devices. For example, on my tab, I have about 500 spices and all upgrades are about 6/8. But I just started a new file on my S3 and I had no upgrades completed and I had only realised all of this when I saw my spices on an unusually low 50. 
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    Correct! At the moment we just save your contribution remotely
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    That's already something big for a weekend and first try (or almost). I guess narwhal online may help figure out a cross platform save system for the other games?
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    That is correct! Among other, even cooler things.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    Awesome!
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    I can't wait!
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    TimConceivableTimConceivable Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 114 Butter Churner
    i skimmed through, but i don't think anyone's mentioned this...
    i think the game is pretty challenging, but the play strategy i've adopted is to dash to the opposite side of the room from enemies (unless they're all over the room) and if i time it well in between their attacks, i can just dash in and out from that corner and avoid all attacks.  i don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but i thought it might be a good idea to have the enemies move toward you a little faster if they are far away from you.  that way this strategy would be a lot harder to pull off.  also maybe at lower depths enemies could move faster?  maybe that's already the case and i just didn't notice.
    [ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options
    Agreed, Tim! There are lots of balance problems with the game in its current form, including that one. Jams are a pretty rough environment to get a fully balanced game cranked out in. We'll try to alleviate that issue in the final!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    TimConceivableTimConceivable Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 114 Butter Churner
    understandable.  i'm amazed at the amount of awesome you guys crank out in such a short amount of time!  i think this is a pretty small issue, but i thought it was something to consider.  :)
    [ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options
    We were going to have an enemy that would chant for a moment, then summon a pillar under you that would knock you back and damage you. He could do this at any range, so you'd have to juke around a lot and couldn't just park at a distance!

That's still probably the plan, because... you know. Chanting worms.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    fatbardfatbard Bscotch Posts: 50 Butter Churner
    And the voice I made for that dooder has to get used! Sounds like he's chanting and taking a dump at the same time. Think I got a hemmaroid just making that sound.

Patrick Crecelius, part of the game scoring and FX duo Fat Bard. Currently working with BScotch on Crashlands and Narwhal Online.

www.FatBardMusic.com