Options

Towelfight 2 v2.0 Early Access!

bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
edited December 2014 in Towelfight 2

WOOOO! It's that time again! We're wrapping up the revamp of Towelfight 2. This one was pretty monumental, because we hadn't touched the game in over a year, which meant that almost everything was broken (due to changes in our game engine over time). So after days upon days of bug stomping, content additions, BscotchID integration, and graphical updates, Towelfight 2 is ready for testing. Here's what we have!

Quick notes for testers:

• Buttering Up for Towelfight is currently under testing, so it's knocked down to $0.99 during the testing phase. Feel free to try it out! If it breaks, crashes, or doesn't work, let us know and we'll fix it for you.
  • Towelfight 2 features a new "manual cloud save" feature. Since the game is so much bigger and more expansive than the others (it features a world map), we're allowing the player to choose when to upload their entire save to the cloud, and when to pull it from the cloud as well. Bear in mind that cloud saving is not automatic in Towelfight because of this. Let us know how the feature works for you!
  • You have to be part of the Bscotch Early Access group to test. Once you are in the group, you can test the game by downloading it at the following link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.bscotch.towelfight2. If it's not available, check back in a little while, as it may take time to propagate through Google Play.

Towelfight 2 Patch Notes (v2.0.1)

• Morg's Arena is now a much more useful and interesting feature, albeit riskier.
    • Morg now takes much higher wagers and offers much higher rewards.
    • Rather than giving you a suite of challenges to choose from, Morg only has one fight available at a time.
    • Each fight Morg offers is randomly generated, based on your best performance in previous fights.
    • Morg's fights expire after 3 minutes, and a new fight is generated with a new challenge and payout. If you accept a challenge, whether you win or lose, there will be a 3-minute cooldown period while Morg searches for new opponents for you.
  • Coins now actually matter.
    • In accordance with the Morg changes, Grubby's items now cost a bit more. You'll have to save up to get them!
    • Grubby now sells EXCLUSIVE ITEMS that you can only get from him. You no longer have to choose between hunting for items in the world or buying them! These items are marked in your 'Jectile Selector with Grubby's face. In addition, any item not sold by Grubby must be found out in the world. In other words, there is no longer any overlap between Grubby's wares and world drops.
  • Monetization Changes
    • Coin packs have all been removed. Buttering Up is now the only purchasable item in the game.
    • Coin Doubler Removed
      • It has been rolled into Buttering Up.
      • If you previously purchased the Coin Doubler, you should be Buttered Up automatically when you log in with your BscotchID and merge your save. If it doesn't trigger, you can try rebooting your game to restore the purchase.
    • Butter Up! ($2.99 -- $0.99 during testing phase)
      • Players who Butter Up will receive double the coin gains from enemies. If you haven't Buttered Up, your doubled coins will be banked in your "Butterbank", and you can redeem them whenever you finally Butter Up.
      • Buttered Up players will also receive a 25% discount on resurrection coin expenses.
      • Buttering up also gives access to cloud saving, friend leaderboards, and cross-game perks, including:
        • Defeat Pete in Quadropus Rampage to gain access to Pete as a 'jectile, sold by Grubby.
        • Collect a large amount of Juice in Roid Rage to infuse Bella with explosive Juice attacks.
        • Upgrade your Flop Rocket a whole crapload to gain access to the Flop Rocket 'jectile.
        • Reach BscotchID Level 15 to get a chance to find a special healing artifact in chests.
        • And a whole bunch of perks coming from Towelfight connecting to other Bscotch games!
    • Advertisements
      • For unbuttered players, the game now has interstitial advertisements on a 2-3 minute interval. Buttering up removes all ads forever.
  • General Updates
    • Player movement has been revised. Instead of running full-speed all the time, the player now moves dynamically based on how far you move your thumb away from the center of the virtual joystick. This should allow for much less "floaty"-feeling movement. It may take a little while to get used to, if you're accustomed to the old system.
    • All new explosions, sound effects, visuals when damaging enemies!
    • The text that pops off of enemies' heads has been made substantially less spammy, allowing you to see the action a bit better (though there's still some room for improvement).

SETH COSTER
Butterscotch Shenanigans
Games Programmer

Comments

• Options
    Duh83Duh83 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 76 Butter Churner
    So excited! 
  • Options
    Two things I already noticed. At first I thought there were a bunch of perks missing but the sizing of the boxes are different,  I counted 26 in flop rocket and 25 in towel fight. After looking for a while there is probably a bigger difference than that because towel fight has a few that flop rocket doesn't. 
    Second is that it might only be me but in quadropus I reported that the back soft key on my Galaxy s5 causes the main menu of the bscotch ID page to close and a split second later will close the main menu of the game.  It is manageable if you can't fix it or if it's just something specific to my phone. I can reproduce it 50% of the time.

And Petes 'jectile is sweet
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    edited December 2014
    Couple of problems: 
    -I can't sync my game to the cloud because it always freezes when i try to do so
    - i ve killed forn but i didn't get the perks
    - (i was able to play one match in the arena but now always when i try to shoot projectiles the game crashes) the forn projectile causes the problem
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @duh8383‌ Unless I'm misunderstanding, it's not that the perks are missing, it's that we only show Perks that are relevant to the current game. So each game shows all BscotchID perks, those Perks coming from that game, and Perks going to that game. Perks between other games are not shown. We did this to keep the list from getting out of control, since there will be more total Perks every time a new game comes out.

As for that exit issue, we had it on the list but might have somehow missed it. I'll make sure it gets checked out.

@bsb333 Someone else spotted that crash. It's due to the Forn jectile, which apparently we never tested. Seth is fixing it. In the meantime if you swap it for something else in your clip you'll be able to keep playing.

As for the sync problem, can you give me some more info? When does the freeze occur? Do you get any success (green) or error (red) messages onscreen? Based on the server, it looks like only one player has successfully synced. I'm not sure if that's because everyone else is having trouble or hasn't tried yet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well i never used forn anyways :)
    The crash happens when you're on the back up the save and the wait no screen and you press back it up... then the game just freezes
  • Options
    Huh. Anyone else having this trouble?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @BscotchAdam‌ ahh ok so the perk differences explains the different levels in the various games.  
    No i haven't had any issues with syncing, I have done it successfully twice.  Only difference might be is that I don't have the forn jectile and I haven't beat him yet (obviously). 

Spotted another problem. I have not had problems with morgs arena but both times after coming back from the arena when I won the map on the left had no picture. When I clicked the map it did show up and when I backed up the small map on the left showed up again like normal
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The perk description of the one were you unlock the flop rocket as a bullet says you unlock it when you research your rocket 80 times. In your description on this thread you say you get it when you fully upgrade your rocket. I've not fully upgraded the rocket but flop rocket gave me the perk in it's intial beta testing phase after i flew into the box right next to the starting launch pad (at least thats what i thought i got it for). Now it seems like i haven't unlocked the perk but i still was able to buy the projectile...
  • Options
    EtrusanEtrusan Bscotch Posts: 71 Babbyscotch
    I found the map but Tap It arrow is upside down. 
  • Options
    Thanks dudes! We'll get all these things sorted.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @bsb333‌ LOL, I can see how that upgrade Perk would be confusing. It was originally required a full upgrade, but we changed it to only needed to fully upgrade 10 of the 12 tracks. The reason was that several players had noted not wanting to upgrade their thrust or turning to the max because it made it harder to play, and we didn't want to force those players to have a worse game-control experience in order to unlock the Perk.
  • Options
    @BscotchAdam‌ Makes sense. So do you need 10 tracks complety upgraded or 80 upgrades in total? Well at least i ve got the jectile eventhough i don't have the perk for it...

• Options
    @bsb333

80 in total, so they can be anywhere.

Turns out you got the Perk because it was defaulting to active for testing, and Seth forgot to switch it back. That'll be fixed, but Perks can only go forwards so you won't lose it.

What was your game progress before you tried backing up to the server? Had you just started a new game, or did you load an old game?
  • Options
    bsb333 said:
    @BscotchAdam‌ Makes sense. So do you need 10 tracks complety upgraded or 80 upgrades in total? Well at least i ve got the jectile eventhough i don't have the perk for it...

Yeah, I screwed up the logic for checking whether you had the perk before putting the jectile in Grubby's inventory. So... WOO! It'll be fixed in the next build, but you get to keep yours.

You won't need to upgrade 10 tracks completely, but that would definitely get you there! It's just 80 total. There are 12 tracks with 8 tiers each, so there are 96 total tiers. So you'd need 80 out of the 96 available research items purchased.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Same thing goes for me, I have the jectile and the two additions. Weird part is that I have over 80 upgrades but the progress bar is maybe 2/3 full
  • Options
    About the arena: it's really good that you made it avaiable in short intervals so one can't just farm gold and get all the items too quickly like i did.
    the problem is though that for those of us who already beat the game and got all the projectiles there really isn't anything to do but the arena..
    and also can you beat hard richard in the arena or where do you find him?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    duh8383 said:
    Same thing goes for me, I have the jectile and the two additions. Weird part is that I have over 80 upgrades but the progress bar is maybe 2/3 full

Yeah also got about 2/3 full but over 80 upgrades...
  • Options
    bsb333 said:
    About the arena: it's really good that you made it avaiable in short intervals so one can't just farm gold and get all the items too quickly like i did.
    the problem is though that for those of us who already beat the game and got all the projectiles there really isn't anything to do but the arena..
    and also can you beat hard richard in the arena or where do you find him?
    It's just regular Richard; the perk is labelled incorrectly! We'll make sure you get the perk for that also.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    HopeofGloryHopeofGlory Bscotch Posts: 24 Babbyscotch
    edited December 2014
    I finished the game before the update. How do I get the perks for beating Forn and the perk for Richard? One thing I noticed is that I had to go looking for teleporters again to get the perk even though I had already found a bunch.

Also the timer for the arena resets to 3 minutes every time you close/open. Will there be a way to let the timer run when towel fight isn't open?
  • Options
    @sam We're pushing out an update RIGHT NOW that fixes those Perk issues (may still take a while to propagate). Teleporters were not being tallied in the previous version, but of course their locations are being saved so they could just be counted up. We'll changed the approach (might not be until the next update) so that your old teleporters count, since that makes a lot more sense.

@duh8383 The master perk table only gets re-downloaded by your game every few days (to save on your and our bandwidth) so yours may just be out of date. You can use the in-game "Clear Cache" button (Title Screen > Saves > Clear cache) to force a re-download. If that doesn't do it there is probably something wrong that we'll have to take a look at.
  • Options
    sam said:
    I finished the game before the update. How do I get the perks for beating Forn and the perk for Richard? One thing I noticed is that I had to go looking for teleporters again to get the perk even though I had already found a bunch.

Also the timer for the arena resets to 3 minutes every time you close/open. Will there be a way to let the timer run when towel fight isn't open?
    We'll make sure the game auto-updates all those perks. No worries!

Regarding the arena timer... Interesting idea! We'll ponder it.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    I just got to level 15 and got the perk that make the I love bscotch relic to give me 2 hearts when I activate it.  I have tried twice with it and tracked how many hearts I get and it's only 1 still. Is it a new relic I have to find/buy? Or claim or something. 
  • Options
    @duh8383‌ you can find it in treasure chests
  • Options
    There is a new relic, like the I <3 TF2 t-shirt, only it says I <3 BS.
  • Options
    Ahh sorry I wasn't fully paying attention. I look forward to finding it
  • Options
    zubie311zubie311 Bscotch Posts: 5 Babbyscotch
    I got this error by tapping and dragging one of the frogs from my clip onto the first "jectile" you can see it in this screen shot as well:
  • Options
    akkmedakkmed Bscotch Posts: 20 Babbyscotch
    Soooo much fun. Not a bug but I find myself getting hung up on the walls of the room. The touch controls already pose a challenge versus physical buttons so maybe make those sharp edges a little more slippery. Or maybe it's just my fat thumbs.
  • Options
    EtrusanEtrusan Bscotch Posts: 71 Babbyscotch
    edited December 2014
    Is it possible to change controls to WSAD on keyboard? I have extra USB keyboard and arrows works for shooting (that's awesome!) but nothing for walking.

dit: When I change to Xperia Play, arrows works for walking but nothing for shooting.
  • Options
     noticed this weird thing with the magic items. I bought the chauncy leg from Tim in order to find more magic and jectiles(chests). When I found the "yell"  magic guy that will bring you back from death I did not notice anything but when I found the banana arm magic item I notice that the 5 minute timer restarted for all 3 items!  I definitely did not get them at the same time. I was in the purple part of the map and I was playing for a while so I would wager that the second bit of magic I got reset the timer also. 
  • Options
    @JustinLeeBarker‌ I think that got fixed in the last update of last night. Make sure your game is updated, and let us know if that's still a problem!

@akkmed We'll take a look at that and see if we can come up with something. Touch controls definitely suck.

@etrusan There are probably some keybindings already in there for the PC version, so I'll see if we can make them available on mobile.

@duh8383 That might have been a design choice by Sam and Seth (TF2 was made long before my time in Bscotch). I think the issue was that the game was originally coded without that magic stuff, and so when it was added it had to work with the system already in place. That system didn't easily allow for each item to have it own timer, so they just took the most player-friendly approach of resetting a single timer every time an item was bought.