Options

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE? (Introductions)

Comments

• Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @Teejay5‌ Glad to have you here! I was quite impressed with the games you showed us at the Brutal Honesty Night (or whatever that thing was called).

• Options
    B3A5T said:

Also, I'm trying to learn how to program in Python, it's the very first ever language that I'm learning and so far, I've learnt most of the basics. I really want to make my own game, alike to those you guys create, maybe not so complex though. I would really appreciate it if you could give me any tips and, I'm just wondering, what programming language do you guys use mostly to programme games?

Python is DEFINITELY the right choice for getting into programming. It's one of the friendliest languages out there, but powerful enough that you can do anything with it. There is a package called PyGame for, as you would guess, making games with Python. I haven't used it, and suspect that making a complex game would be quite difficult in this environment. But making even a simple, shitty game in PyGame would be a highly educational experience.

Seth is a huge advocate of Gamemaker by Yoyo Games, since that's also the platform where he learned how to program (and that platform all BScotch games are made in). The language they use is closer to C/C++ but more limited, though you won't run into those limits until you've been programming for quite some time. The whole purpose of the language is to make games and so it is a lot more fun to learn than something like pure C++, C#, or Java.

Unity is a much more powerful platform that uses a standard language (C#) for 3D game development. The difference in difficulty between 2D (like in Gamemaker) and 3D is huge; it would be wise to start with 2D programming. Unless you are like @Teejay5‌, apparently...

• Options
    B3A5TB3A5T Bscotch Posts: 39 Butter Churner

@BscotchAdam‌, I just checked out Gamemaker and am actually learning how to use it. Thnx for letting me know about it. But I just wanna confirm, bsotch created quadropus rampage on it?? 

B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options

@B3A5T‌ Indeed we did! Well, Sam and Seth did, anyway. Crashlands is also going to be entirely made in Gamemaker.

Check out Seth's thread on 2D game development tools, and the thread on all of the mini games made by Bscotch (all with Gamemaker).

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

@B3A5T‌ Yep, our stance is that Game Maker is hands-down the best tool for the job when it comes to 2D game development. HANDS DOWN.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    edited August 2014

Awesome!! I'm making my first game on it haha!!

B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    SeiferTimSeiferTim Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 75 Shenaniduke

@B3A5T‌ Yep, our stance is that Game Maker is hands-down the best tool for the job when it comes to 2D game development. HANDS DOWN.

>:) 

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer

HANDS DOWN, TIM!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    CaliberMengskCaliberMengsk Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 74 Butter Churner
    I haven't used game maker since ... like... it's 3rd update.... total.... Probably should mess with it a bit again, but unity seems to be my jam for now. (besides, it seems that I prefer the 3d environment more then 2d, even though I can do the 2d stuff just fine.)
  • Options
    @Rzignkl‌ But bananas ARE THE BEST! And such a good source of potassium, too.
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    Unlike everyone here, I don't live in the USA. I'm french.

Wrong, CBenoit and I are french :smile:

Welcome here it's awesome to feel like I'm not the only french around here :D

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    Kiwicat4444Kiwicat4444 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 20 Butter Churner

Tell us about yourself. What's your story?

Hi there ! I'm apparently the fourth french guy here :smiley: . I'm in what's equivalent to 12th Grade.

What are some of your favorite things?

Cats, space (space core voice), video games, the internet, kiwis (the fruit), good music, anime and cats.

What's the one thing in the universe that you just can't stand?

Rzignkl said:

Bananas. Those damn motherfuckers.

I really don't like bananas either.

What are you working on these days to make yourself a more amazing person?

I dunno ... trying to pass my french high-school diploma I guess (so much stuff to learn ! )

• Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ 50% of French people on this forum have explicitly stated hate for bananas. The other 50% have made no comment. TELL ME YOUR FEELINGS ON BANANAS. FOR SCIENCE.
  • Options
    danadana Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 23 Babbyscotch
    Bananas are lovely and I know that @macgeo feels the same way.
  • Options
    @dana‌ And I know I feel the same way! I eat one or two EVERY DAMN DAY.
  • Options
    I REALLY LOVE BANANAS!!!
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    Okay, that's a relief. It was probably just sampling error then. GOOD TO KNOW.
  • Options
    cmanredcmanred Bscotch, Tester Posts: 22 Babbyscotch
    Tell us about yourself. What's your story?
    Well, I guess I'm the guy everyone believes they have met or know. Lol my name is generic that being Mr. Brian Campbell. Or Brain if your dyslexic haha (it happens alot). I am a 24 yr. Old father of 2 little girls ages 3 and 7. I haven't completed any degrees yet. But I have dabbled in business and information systems. My work at the moment is 3rd shift produce. And lots of warehouse work prior. 

What are some of your favorite things?
    (Bands, foods, artists, brown paper packages tied up with string)
    I enjoy music mostly heavy metal and some rap. For books "the resurrection of magic" series is one of my faves. Gaming of course is a passion playing since I was 5; I'll probably never stop haha. The final passion is frolfing at the local parks. 

What's the one thing in the universe that you just can't stand?
    Hypocrites and idiocy. For the reasons being life is short so be a man of your word and knowledge is power.  

What are you working on these days to make yourself a more amazing person?
    (Learning a new skill, Getting in shape, etc
    Being the best father I can be is always numero uno. But I always try to be as kind to everyone as I would my kids. I also do my best to learn as much as possible regardless of the topic at hand. 
  • Options
    @BscotchAdam‌ It IS a sampling error. As long as I know, almost everyone LOVE bananas

• Options
    Kiwicat4444Kiwicat4444 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 20 Butter Churner
    @BscotchAdam‌ It IS a sampling error. As long as I know, almost everyone LOVE bananas
    That's true u_u 
    I'm part of the 2% that doesn't like them though  :|
  • Options
    TimConceivableTimConceivable Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 114 Butter Churner
    i'm in the US and i dislike bananas. i still eat them because they're supposed to be healthy or something.  :)
    [ [ i make stuff ] ]

• Options
    edited September 2014
    @Kiwicat4444‌ Don't worry we still like you even if you dislike bananas :smile: 

• Options
    DO WE!?
  • Options
    macgeomacgeo Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 65 Butter Churner
    nannertracker.com
  • Options
    @macgeo The only problem with bananas is that they may travel thousands of kilometers to get to our stomachs, so if it is healthy, it may be really bad for the environment.
    If I could I would still eat tons of bananas.

• Options
    macgeomacgeo Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 65 Butter Churner
    @Ulnarevern‌

I get mine at Schnuck's because it's very close to my home, very gasoline efficient. Also try to batch my purchases by buying more than one at a time. Good tip tho, we should all be looking out for the environment. :smile: 
    )
  • Options
    @macgeo, that still doesn't change the fact that you're destroying the world with your delicious bananas! haha! Those malicious yellow things still travel half the world to get to you!
    B3/\5T
    Just a random guy!

• Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke
    My b'nanas only travel halway across the country from the far north-east. So only half as damning for our environment I suppose. I wish I could afford those little bastardy yellow fruits. Being on an extreme budget doesn't allow expensive yellow moons from the other side of the continent.  :(

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    CaliberMengskCaliberMengsk Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper Posts: 74 Butter Churner
    O-o here... bananas are only like $0.50 a pound... or something like that... Compared to other fruits/vegetables that's dirt cheap. (by comparison, tomatoes are normally $1.50 on sale, $2.00 when not {of course, that is "vine ripe" tomatoes}) And they all travel similar distances.
  • Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke
    Bananas are currently (as in today)... 63c a kilogram. That's 2.3lbs. Currency is basically 1 to 1 between AU and US. So a little more expensive. 

Field tomatoes are 77c a kilo. Greenhouse $1.40

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly