Options

General Discussion (Crashlands alpha)

bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
I hope all you testers are excited as we are to get this first round of testing off the ground! As we prepare for the start of the test (October 2, barring unforeseen problems) feel free to chat with each other and ask us any preliminary questions you have. Once testing is under way, please use this thread to discuss your experience with the alpha version of Crashlands or the registration and testing process (we'll add more threads as the discussions turn towards more and more topics). Remember that you have been given special privileges to view and comment in the Testing subforum; try to keep all of your discussions within this private area of the forums!

Happy gaming!

Comments

• Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    I just thought of one question: what happens if we get disconnected from the internet while we are playing? I will connect in Wi-Fi and I lose my connection sometimes so what would happen in that case?
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ At the moment, the plan is to definitely force a connection at the start of play. From our own experience the game can get pretty addictive, and we'll lose a lot of potential data if connections are lost for, say, an hour of gameplay. So we may have a timer that checks for a connection every 5 minutes and then suspends the game if one isn't found. Sorry to be so draconian about it, but if we don't get that data then we can't learn anything!
  • Options
    No problem! It's for this reason that I asked. If it is for 5 minutes or so it should be enough. You may even make it every 1 or 2 minutes. It was really to be sure you had something planned for this particular case. :smile: 
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    OH WE HAVE PLANS!
  • Options
    We can never be too careful when it comes to an awesome project!
    And am I the only one around here?

• Options
    Apparently... there should be ~10 others lurking around. They may not engage until testing starts, though.
  • Options
    MeaKittyMeaKitty Bscotch, Tester Posts: 131 Shenaniduke
    Woohoo. I only just got notified of my acception and directed here. Yaaaaaaaay. I am present.

Hoping my device is still okay to us. I have a SIM with a net connection to use when I'm out of the house and afk from my WiFi. Should be good.

~~~***~~~ 
    MeaKitty: The Resident Kitty Artist

See my work at  PhoenixFire Art
    Also Graphic Artist and Web Designer
    See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~| GooglePlus |Facebook | Twitter | Sketchfest |~

Merchandise Available to support Me
     ~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    Or just pledge to support me directly
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    cmanredcmanred Bscotch, Tester Posts: 22 Babbyscotch
    Wut up fellow testers and Bscotch bros. I have a great wifi at home. Otherwise I have 4G and works wifi when I'm on the go or stocking bananas haha
  • Options
    HEY! Welcome to the thread. Seth's fixing some amusing bugs AS WE SPEAK: for some reason signs could be thrown into the water and lost forever, there is a bomb made out of a fish that ceases to exist before it explodes, and one of the creatures (the Wat) is only visible when it blinks. I hope y'all are ready for some seriously weird shit!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The Wat sounds like it has the ultimate defense. Better than a weeping angel. XD

And I love weird shit! I'm looking forward to the weird shit. And to breaking everything. This is my specialty. I -will- break your game in ways no one else will ever consider. I hope you're ready for that?

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    @MeaKitty‌ Oh hell yes, that's EXACTLY what we want!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also, question: What's the policy on multiple devices? I have an Samsung S4 and a Note 10.1 (tablet) and I'm willing to test it on both devices if possible. Phone for when I'm out and about, and tablet for when I'm home on the wifi.

Is it compatible with both devices? And will it be possible to switch between the two with the same account? Or do you want us to stick to one device only? 

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    @MeaKitty‌ Good question. The way we're setting up analytics will only work for a single game per player. I could make some changes to allow it, but Crashlands is a really big game and you definitely won't have time to play through it twice!

Our primary goals with this test are about how players interact with the game, particularly with the speed of progression and general balancing. We don't need much in the way of device-specific testing. For now pick the device that you think will run the game best, or is otherwise your favorite.

When we run the Beta we'll definitely want to see multi-device tests if you're still willing!
  • Options
    Aah. Cool. Most definitely. I plan on getting it for both devices anyway when it's ready.

Wasn't sure but the way you were making it sound it was one game per account which is why I was wondering if it would be transferable between devices (ie with cloud saving or something).

But that's cool. As I said willing to break your game multiple times in the name of progression of course. XD

I'm so excited I can't sit still. Can it be release day yet?!? Ugh. #problemswithlivinginadifferenttimezone

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Won't be an issue! The test is slated for ten days, but what happens after that will depend on the results.
  • Options
    JoeyMaruJoeyMaru Bscotch, 8-Bit Dev Piper, Tester Posts: 31 Babbyscotch
    Hey guys!

Thanks for having me along, I am running a Note 3, so I shouldn't have any lag issues.
    I will also do my best to have constant internet uptime while I'm playing.

If I experience any issues, or have any feedback, I'll make sure I add it all right here. :)
  • Options
    @JoeyMaru‌ sounds perfect!
  • Options
    InferiorPickleInferiorPickle Bscotch, Tester Posts: 50 Butter Churner
    Hmmm, kinda doubtful it'll run on my phone. If worst comes to worst, I might be able to persuade my mum to use her phone at home. :D
  • Options
    Lmao @bscotchadam the bugs sounds amusing! Except for the sign loss unless signs r only deco.
  • Options
    Signs show up on the map, and they no longer can be tossed into oblivion :).
  • Options
    Can they be tossed AT OUR ENNEMIES?

• Options
    In the FACES?!

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Hadn't even thought of that...
  • Options
    You tried to toss them in the Ocean before you tried to use them to beat your enemies?  No wonder you need testers, you're playing it wrong. XD 

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    Apparently! I'm interested to see what kinds of corners this creativity backs us into.
  • Options
    Face bashing with signs?! .....oh Yeah
  • Options
    You may even add face bashing and facesplosion with every single object. There's no such thing as bashing monsters with other monsters. Or the precedent and overused clothes suit.

• Options
    I like this idea. In the face, with a sign... "facesplosion". Let's do that. =D Please? ULTIMATE WEAPON... the common sign.

~~~***~~~ 

See my other work at
    Weird Dreams Ink 

~|
    Redbubble | Zazzle |~
    ~| 
    My Patreon |~

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    We originally allowed everything to be used as a weapon, but as you might imagine, it was NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BALANCE and kinda threw off the whole game's vibe.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    I bet it did! I'm sure the environment was chaotic. Or the game was too easy, still...I can't help but to chuckle at the thought of face bashing with a Lil cartoon sign. 

-side note- 
    I will be working yet again tonight but will be home for lunch around 4-5 am tomorrow in case the download is in xtra early