Options

Flop Rocket v2.0 Early Access

bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
edited December 2014 in Flop Rocket
UPDATE: We've uploaded the test version to Google Play (you must be part of the Early Access community to try it)!

We've wrapped up a huge overhaul of Flop Rocket, so that it has been converted from the Mini it once was into a full game in its own right. We finished development of BscotchID version 1 at the same time, and the two are tightly integrated. This does mean that a lot of testing will be needed, and so we have just launched the Early Access version via Google Plus.

We're also beginning to move away from the Free to Play model towards something that is both fair to us and our players. That starts with Flop Rocket, which will effectively be "Free to Try" with limited upgrade tracks and ads in the free version and access to all content without ads (including web syncing of progress and access to cross-game Perks via BscotchID) in the paid version. For the testing period we'll be dropping the price to $0.99 to thank you for your patience and assistance with the inevitable bugs and crashes that will appear. We'll also be giving away up to 50 copies for free shortly after testing begins, so if you can't spare the dollar you may get a freebie! The free upgrades will be randomly chosen by a computer program after weighting each player (who hasn't yet paid) by the number of friends in their BSID friends list, the number of messages they've sent to those friends, and the number of useful bug reports they've submitted.

Sam posted an article on the topic, check it out!

Comments

• Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    Sounds great :) really curious what 2.0 will look like!
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    edited November 2014
    I'm willing to invest in your games but I have one question: do you have any idea of the price of your upcoming games (and revamps)?

In other words, should I invest in a 15 or 25€ google play card? And what about potential (future) PC releases?

Also, will you rework Extreme Burger Defense and Goopidemic to make it available one day or another?

French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    I'm willing to invest in your games but I have one question: do you have any idea of the price of your upcoming games (and revamps)?
    No guarantees, but right now we're probably going to be looking at $2.99 for Flop Rocket, $1.99 for Roid Rage, $4.99 for Towelfight, and $11.99 for Crashlands. We'll  be leaving Quadropus as-is, because its financial model is baked into the game pretty hard.
    And what about potential (future) PC releases?
    Unfortunately we can't have cross-platform sales, so if you want to play Crashlands on both PC and Android (for example), you'd need to buy it on both. We don't really want to do it that way, but each platform has rules about these things. BUT... It's possible that we could distribute PC versions on our own web site and allow you to connect them to your BscotchID that way. It's all kinda up in the air at the moment!
    Also, will you rework Extreme Burger Defense and Goopidemic to make it available one day or another?

We've got no plans for these games, although they're pretty nuts. Hard to say!

We'll be posting a "Roadmap" pretty soon on our blog, so people can see what our plans are going to be over the next 6 months or so. We've got a lot coming down the pipe!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    No guarantees, but right now we're probably going to be looking at $2.99 for Flop Rocket, $1.99 for Roid Rage, $4.99 for Towelfight, and $11.99 for Crashlands. We'll  be leaving Quadropus as-is, because its financial model is baked into the game pretty hard.

Okay so more like 25€ :smile:

Unfortunately we can't have cross-platform sales, so if you want to play Crashlands on both PC and Android (for example), you'd need to buy it on both.

I can't be sure yet, but I feel like buying it two times would be a good way to say thanks for the countless hours I spent on your games, since I'm not part of the players that actively bring you money (NOT YET).

We've got no plans for these games, although they're pretty nuts. Hard to say!

I kinda liked EBD. It was full of problems but kinda fun to play and Goopidemic looked really interesting. That's sad. But Crashlands ad Narwhal will be better!

We'll be posting a "Roadmap"

Woohoo!
    I'll be able to stop asking questions about it then.
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    I browsed through a dozen comments for Flop Rocket and I noticed something: if you ever happen to do game jams, you may have to do a disclaimer WITH A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CAPSLOCK so that people won't rage against your minis. They give you bad comments for nothing and you're at 3.9 on Flop Rocket and I find this sad...

But you were probably aware of this (I mean, the old version [I'm going to test the new one] was fun, even more when ou knew that it was a 48h max game)

• Options
    We've decided to stop reading Google Play reviews :smile: 

On a similar note, we found that the anonymous Bug Report button that was temporarily in Quadropus Rampage was completely useless. The only things that people reported were complaints (not bugs). So we removed that function (one of the reasons we can't have nice things). In contrast, the nonymous reports from e.g. Crashlands alpha and the current Flop Rocket beta have been really constructive. The more anonymous people are and the less they know about us, the more destructive they become!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    We've decided to stop reading Google Play reviews smile
    Good idea indeed. I was just surprised it had "only" 3.9/5.

This is the problem with people I guess... They have no idea of how much work it requires...

In other things, screenshots for a bug that happens in the BScotchID menu (I'll never be able to have any friends D: ):

• Options
    WHAT OH CRAP. I swear I fixed that bug already :disappointed: The fun never ends.
  • Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ Does this happen with and/or without a web connection? 
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @BscotchAdam‌ With connection apparently. And without :/

• Options
    HUM. I'm looking into it. For now, try rebooting the game (force quit from the apps manager even) and see if that resolves it.
  • Options
    I have to add that it worked the first time (but I was unable to ask anyone as friend with a magnificent error message. That can be due to my poor wifi connection at the time). The game still works but I'm unable to use BscotchID.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    There is definitely a problem right now with repeated logins. I think I've patched it, but we won't be submitted an update until probably tomorrow. Sorry!

My guess is that something got saved poorly when it tried to download an image. I'll try to make the thing more robust, but in the meantime you could probably fix it by clearing your local data (if you Butter Up and force-sync through the Saves menu, you should be able to recover your progress).
  • Options
    I've made close to no progress (I haven't play 10 minutes of the new version) and I haven't the payments means right now so I don't fear clearing my data :smile: 

• Options
    Clearing the data fixed the problem. It was probably as you supposed, something that didn't load as it should have.

• Options
    scotchstescotchste Bscotch Posts: 13 Babbyscotch
    Really enjoying the update, buttered up, played for a good few hours without any issues (except for not being very good at it, practice, practice, practice).

Had a crash once on opening offline but have not been able to replicate, sorry.

Playing on a Nexus 5, running KitKat 4.4.4 and Art, updating to lollipop soon, are your games lollipop compatible?

Only issue, my tablet is a Ployer Mono 20 based on the Allwinner A31 SoC, running 4.2.2 and Flop Rocket doesn't run, just black screens the tablet.

Also are your games compatible with devices (such as the hudl 2 tablet) that use the Intel Atom CPU?

Just tried FR on an old Android 2.3.1 tab, it runs slow but it works. Cloud sync appears to work OK. Minor, not important, point, when playing for the first time on a second device you get the intro sequence again and settings are not synched.

Finally, love the update and look forward to the next games.

• Options
    Thanks for all the info, and I'm glad you're enjoying it! I had to play for quite some time before I could make it very far. Now I almost always get past 500m and regularly get 800-1500m. @BscotchSeth‌ is currently the ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD who has gotten to space.

As for all of those devices, the short answer is that I have no idea! We only test on our own devices, which are run-of-the-mill factory-standard and common devices. There are over 7000 Android devices, and so all we can say is when we know our games don't work on a given platform (and that's only after players report crashes to us).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Here are some ideas/remarks:
    - Why don't you add an option to play the intro again? (it just made me laugh and I would like to watch it again if possible and it may be fun to show to our friends). The cutscene is awesome by the way
    - Why not make it feel extra juicy when people butter up, with a cutscene for an example (maybe I've missed it though)?
    - Would it be possible to categorize upgrades (rocket, collectibles, stuff)?
    - I have a crash when the game tries to synchronize data while I'm offline (I'll try to post the screenshot here when I can)
    - I fear that upgrading the Agility may make the game harder. That's a personal feeling but on my small screen with the previous version this was a nightmare to do precise moves. So I just don't upgrade it on the new version. I believe it may be particularly related to small screens (mine is 4' is think)
    - The buttered up game seems pretty easy? (I'm not able to give a real feedback on this I haven't played enough)
    - I have huge framerate loss when an earthworm goes out of the soil. By itself it's not a problem (more time to react) but when the framerate returns to it's normal state it is surprising and may cause crashes and rage. It also gets slower when the Duck Cannon fires but it's not too much of a problem

I think that is all for now :)

• Options
    scotchstescotchste Bscotch Posts: 13 Babbyscotch
    Had the crash on opening offline again and ingame, also whilst offline.

• Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ Thanks for the feedback! The particle effects from the cannon may be what causes that to drop your framerate, though I don't know why the worm does. We'll take a look at optimizing those a bit more. The agility option also feels quite different depending on your control scheme. For me, higher agility helps a lot with the swipe controls (but I agree that it can make the tap controls harder). As for the Buttered Up part being easier, all I can say is I've played the crap out of it and have only gotten to 1800m and haven't fully upgraded any tracks. Probably the difference between Buttered Up and free is too large so that the free version is too slow and difficult. We'll take a look at the balance a bit more.

@scotchste Thanks for the specific bug report! Now I know exactly where the problem is and will get it fixed. We'll roll out a patched version by tomorrow night (hopefully along with BSID-integrated Roid Rage!) Sorry that this will mess up your offline play!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for buttering me up :) ... kind a feel guilty now though... well guess i will just invest in another one of your games when i get a giftcard. So far the game ran pretty smoothly and i haven't experienced any bugs or lags. 
  • Options
    @bsb333‌ There will be PLENTY of opportunities for you to give us money :wink:
  • Options
    We won't miss it :)

• Options
    And another thing  that crossed my mind is that you might wanna make a bs money bank for free version players and once the butter up the get all the money they would have made with the double coin value. I don't know if that would help sales but i thought that maybe people would be more willing to upgrade if the see the amount of money the miss out on...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @bsb333‌ Interesting idea! You just earned that free Flop Rocket upgrade, so now you definitely have no reason to feel guilty!
  • Options
    bsb333 said:
    And another thing  that crossed my mind is that you might wanna make a bs money bank for free version players and once the butter up the get all the money they would have made with the double coin value. I don't know if that would help sales but i thought that maybe people would be more willing to upgrade if the see the amount of money the miss out on...
    BRILLIANT! Just finished hooking that up. We're calling it the BUTTERBANK.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ AWESOME feedback.

I've added a "low graphics" option in the pause menu for the next version. It'll turn off all the particle effects and debris. Unfortunately, there might something more SINISTER at play with your worm lag, but this might help a tad.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @BscotchAdam‌ In fact I use the sidewheel controls and it is more a fear of having the same problem as the previous version. I'll try to upgrade agility on this version and I'll tell you if it is annoying on my small screen.

A way to prevent that possibility may be to be able to personalize the characteristics of the rocket?
    That would, once again, be a lot of work but that could be fun, like being able to modify the agility bonus and the thrust bonus.

And even better (this is only a kind of unrealistic suggestion) would be to make the player able to customize completely the rocket, like once a thing is fully upgraded (or not), we can choose to modify the effects.
    EXAMPLE the armor thing (I've the fifth upgrade bought so I'll do from here), choose between 6 max armor and 2 starting or 3 max armor and 3 starting, and switching would cost money (so we will keep a little use of it even after buying all the upgrades). The same goes with fuel (smaller tank and better refuel and vice-versa).
    Or you can even imagine getting better thrust at the expense of a painfully degraded agility. This is an example.
    That would probably require a re-balance (or maybe not if planned really smartly, but I can't help) and a huge lot of work, but it's worth writing the idea just in case.

About the difficulty... It's probably because I was used to the previous version that was more... messy (?). And I felt like the upgrades were pretty easy to get but in fact I was completely wrong.

@BscotchSeth‌

Woohoo thanks I'll tell you how it works :smile: (it was really a light lag with the duck cannon though but it may also help with the worm)

The worm lag is weird indeed. I don't know if it is the particles when it gets in and out the top and bottom.
    It may also be the animation of it or a huge resolution for the sprite (that is unlikely) or a computation of pixel perfect collision that runs incorrectly
    Or basically any effect that consumes a certain amount of computations that would run even if not needed.

P.S. My crash was the same as @scotchste‌ but you know what is the problem :)

• Options
    If anyone (like me) needs some bscotch id friends feel free to add me. My id is the same as my name here so: bsb333
  • Options
    @bsb333‌ I added you :smile:
    My BscotchID is ulnarevern so if you want to add me other persons... :smile: