Options

Quadropus Rampage v2.0 Early Access

Comments

• Options
    akkmedakkmed Bscotch Posts: 20 Babbyscotch
    Not sure if feature or bug. I was around 400 feet and on a sliver of health I activated my shield and immediately died from the maelstrom that was I was racing to defend. That's not the problem, the problem, or hint of a problem, was when I resurrected my shield was active. Not sure if it's just a timing issue getting killed between pressing the shield and it actually shielding the damage. 

It's certainly not a pressing issue and I'm loving the update.
  • Options
    TichyTichy Bscotch Posts: 7 Babbyscotch
    Just did some testing with the 2.01 version (running Android 4.3, Galaxy Note 2 here)

Logging in and buttering up went fine. My progress was restored except for the doubler purchase - but this was expected (thx for the warning). 

a) If you try to butter up logged off the following login screen is messed up (fields are in the upper right corner). 

b) Device runs hotter than before. Battery loss seems increased. 
  • Options
    bscotchAdambscotchAdam Administrator, Moderator, Tester Posts: 399 Developer
    @akkmed I'm not sure how you died with a shield activated, nor how you managed to still have the shield active when you resurrected! Maybe Seth can make a guess and put in a fix.

@Tichy I'm going to find that damned purchase restore bug TODAY and get it fixed. I hope. It's driving me insane. Once I do I'll let you know so that you can reboot the game and see if it appears. Thanks for the patience! As to the other points.

a) Yep, I just reproduced this but had no idea it was a problem. Will figure it out!

b) Yep, someone else noticed this as well. Not sure why this is the case, since the engine is the same as the last QR release and we haven't added any complex features... Seth is hoping to find some places to improve efficiency so maybe we can tame it a bit.
  • Options
    OKAY EVERYONE, we have a suspicion for why efficiency seems to be lower. After conferring with Seth, it turns out he actually made some updates already that should have improved efficiency.

The problem is then likely coming from BscotchID, which is pretty lightweight with one exception: it downloads images from the web. These are small images, so it wouldn't be a big deal, except that our game engine does a shitty job of loading images at runtime (as opposed to be compiled with those images in the first place), using a LOT of RAM to load even small images.

The fix for this is going to require re-working a bunch of the BscotchID stuff, so it'll be a few days or a week before a fix. Assuming that this image thing is the problem, that should help a lot!

In other news, we just wrapped up a bunch of bugfixes and are doing a little internal testing before we post the update. Stay tuned.

• Options
    bscotchsethbscotchseth Bscotch, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 508 Developer
    edited December 2014
    PATCH NOTES! v2.0.2
    • Artifacts are now marked as "known" based on depth, not based on whether you have equipped them
    • We no longer push the player to log in via Google Play Game Services upon boot-up -- The player can now manually do it via the main menu.
    • You will now be able to read the text on confirmation buttons!
    • Pressing "new game" and then "nevermind" will no longer break literally everything in the universe.
    • Your options & settings will now be saved between saves/loads of the game.
    • Purchases like the Orb Doubler and various bundles/packs should now properly be loaded (we think -- please test!).
    • Instead of starting each save with 50 Doubloons, Grubby will now give you 50 doubloons the first time you see him.
    • The spaceduck's head no longer shrinks when it blinks.
    • Whole bunch of BscotchID fixes and updates.
    • Fixed a bunch of graphical bugs and glitches with buttons.
    Let us know how it goes! The build is propagating through Google Play and should be live by 7pm CST.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    Duh83Duh83 Bscotch, Tester Posts: 76 Butter Churner
    Two things I noticed:
    1: when the game is first starting up the upper left corner has a white box flash that is about an inch wide by an inch long. It's only up there for a split second. 
    2: when looking at my main bscotch ID page with the news and stuff,  when I hit the back button it almost double clicks or something because not only does it close the bscotch ID page to go to the main menu,  it also closes the game right away.  I've repeated it several times to make sure it's not just me. I have to click the small red arrow to go back. 

Good job on the game so far though! 
  • Options
    FYI EVERYONE, the purchases are still broken in the version from earlier today. Seth just pushed a hotfix that should be available. Sorry we're having so much trouble getting that damn thing to work. Totally my fault. I'm getting pwned by asynchronous programming.

@duh8383 1. Yeah, I noticed that. Not sure what it is, so we'll investigate. 2. We'll add a warmup period or something for the main menu exit button. That should prevent that from happening.
  • Options
    I've noticed with buttons in general and when upgrading specifically that sometimes a single tap will register more than once. Also comes up when syncing with the server, the "ok" button overlaps a profile change button and almost always leads to a double prompt.
  • Options
    @akkmed‌ the code behind ALL of the buttons has changed, so that makes sense. We'll give them all some cooldowns or something.
  • Options
    Love the new studio intro and jingle!
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    Thanks! Pete is finally back and I'm ready to kill him for good ^^
  • Options
    RE: bscotchid, Roid Rage has me at level 12, Flop Rocket has me at level 11, and QR has me at level 9. I've tried clearing caches and syncing with the server.
  • Options
    UlnarevernUlnarevern Bscotch, Moderator, Tester Posts: 318 mod
    There's a little problem in the library section: I can't scroll after the salt shaker artifact. And Is it normal that 1000 depths, 20 Lucky coins, 500 Bingo kills don't seem to update? I'm on a 3xxx meters run, I'm almost certain I collected more than 20 lucky coins and that Bingo is closing it's 500 kills but I don't have the perks and the counter haven't updated since I began this run. Do this update once the run is over? And why did I get the 20 artifacts thing then?
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.
    I also spend my time editing my own posts because it's a nice community here.

• Options
    To preserve bandwidth, things don't update in real-time. BUT IT SHOULD BE DARN CLOSE, and it's not there yet. We're still striking a balance with figuring out when things should be synced. Keep the info coming so we can fine tune it and make it right!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ Some perk updates only happen at the end of a run, though we could probably do them after each level instead. Perk updates definitely shouldn't be that crappy. We're checking into it. Did it seem to be always this bad in QR, or after that last update?

@akkmed That leveling problem is weird. Has anyone else seen it? The level calculation is done purely from the server, so it should be the same in all games. It's possible that the production versions of Flop Rocket and Roid Rage have some code difference that causes them to tally the server data incorrectly. The level stored on the server is a MAX, so it never decreases, meaning that those low values are somehow being misreported locally. 
  • Options
    EtrusanEtrusan Bscotch Posts: 71 Babbyscotch
    edited December 2014
    Yes, I have the leveling problem too. I'm 7 in QR, 9 in FR and 10 in RR.

Edit: Now I'm somehow 10 in FR.
  • Options
    @BscotchAdam It was already the case without the last update. Please tell me I won't have to do a huge run again to get the perks (right now I've passed 3500 depths in normal.
    French, low end phone, low skill early access tester. Or something like that. Or absolutely nothing like that.

• Options
    @Ulnarevern‌ Shouldn't have to. It's being saved locally (unlike before), but it's just updating the server inappropriately. Also, it is easy to confuse "Depths" and "Meters", since one Depth = 10 meters. That was our bad.
  • Options
    So I died in normalmode and when I looked at the picture for my weapon( a lightning sabre)   there wasn't and blade,  just the handle. 
  • Options
    Yeah man, it's turned off!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    It's like a light saber!
  • Options
    @BscotchAdam‌ I knew the difference but I forgot in fact :smile: 

• Options
    i thought in the old version i always had mine show up when i died. maybe not? I figured that it was just supposed to look how it does when you are holding it in the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    v2.0.4
    Pushed out a build just now! It has some BscotchID fixes, crash fixes, and fixes of the bugs reported in the forums here.

We are updating how Avatars are handled (should reduce memory usage), so there will be weirdness with the avatars over the next day. Pay that part no mind! To get them working, clear your cache and restart.

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer

• Options
    I broke QR. I bought a butter up to gift to a random person on my list and after confirming the purchase but before I could give it away I got this error. Now when I kill and try to load the game this is all I get.
  • Options
    I uninstalled, couldn't reinstall for a while (I'm assuming due to the recently pushed update), just got it installed and logged in fine but it's not registering my butter up credit. I have an email and text from Google play saying I bought one for a dollar.

Still a dollar well spent in my book, but fyi.
  • Options
    Updates the game.  Looks like there are still some level discrepancies between games.  Also when I click the space worm for my avatar it instead gives me the meditating quadropus.  When I attempt to click the meditating quadropus it says I have to unlock an achievement. My previous two observations still hold true.  About the white box that flashes and the game closing when I hit my phones back button from the bscotch ID screen.  Not sure if you addressed that or not. 
  • Options
    bsb333bsb333 Bscotch Posts: 111 Butter Churner
    @BscotchAdam‌ seems like I was celebrating too early ... it tells me that pete is dead again. Otherwise the new update runs extremly smooth 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    There's a huge problem with the update!
    In normal run, the game considers I just beat Pete, so it give me the Pete-death thingy with Grubby and the 50 doubloons reward. I tried starting a new depth but it gives me the Pete-death speech again.
    Basically I can't play anymore and I don't want to start a new game (I think the breaking point is close, but the game was already pretty broken after 2000-2500 meters with every artifacts and two pets).

Also at 4200 or 4400 meters the game prompted  "4100 meters until Pete"

About perks and stats updates (I know some of them may update only at the end of a run but I'll try to list everything so you can sort it out):

About stats:
    - My number of depth cleared didn't update for some time (404 depths even if my dive is at 443, plus a few other dives)
    - The same goes for orbs collection (still at 62.338 orbs even if I collected more than 100k orbs in the game)
    - Best Depth, Highest Level, Best hit and (probably, but not certain) Lifetime kills seem to update on a regular basis
    I can't say about the other stats, sorry.

About perks:
    - 500 Bingo Kills definitely seem to be not updating regularly (with passed 61k kills I think I can assert that Bingo has probably killed 500 enemies, or at least more than 250 [my Perk isn't half way])
    - 20 simultaneous artifacts updated in a close to real time basis (got the perk once I bought/found the 20th artifact)
    - 1000 Lifetime depth seem to be linked directly to the stat, so it's probably still at 404 (not found) depth.
    - Find 20 Lucky coins seems to update at the end of a run/not update regularly

By the way, updating at the end of a run may be a problem for me, since it doesn't look like I'll be able to die on this run, and I don't want to give up either. So if I don't finish my run, I don't unlock the perks. But this is a problem almost no one will encounter.

• Options
    WOO! Thanks, guys! Going to do a thorough revisiting of the logic behind how the game considers Pete to be defeated. Something is clearly wrong here!

SETH COSTER
    Butterscotch Shenanigans
    Games Programmer